Author Topic: 65 A Code 4 Barrel 289 San Jose Build Engine Color? I'm new to forum,  (Read 2366 times)

Offline finallymy65

Hello I'm finally getting to my 65 Mustang Convertible after doing the unthinkable and basically letting it gather surface rust in garage and go unused since about 92. :( I'm paying the price , but I'm going to do the best I can now.
My big question. I'm having someone partially restore  my car and I know it is a San Jose Build 289 A Code 4 barrel . What colors should the engine bay , engine block, valve colors and air cleaner be?

Is it correct that the Ford or Corporate blue engine color didn't emerge till 66?
Is my engine block supposed to be black? With Gold Valve Colors and gold air cleaner and black snorkel? Is there truth to the color being "the gold standard"?
For some reason my engine is ford blue right now but maybe someone painted it the incorrect color. I want it factory correct. PS my engine is in neglected condition right now.
I will need to figure out paint brands to use, heat sensitivity, correct colors, tips, etc.
Do you have references to where I can find this info? Build sheets? Books? Internet link?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:46:59 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure others will chime in with correct responses to your individual questions but something you can do as a "Self-Help" in the meantime (since I am sure you have many more question forthcoming), try and go to the "Home Page of this site, choose "64 1/2-66" and locate the "Search" box/feature located near the top of the page and enter a few key words to search (like "engine paint") and you will usually find most questions have been asked and answered before. VERY IMPORTANT to know your "build date" or at very least, your "scheduled build date" to receive the most accurate information about your specific questions. Many, many differences & nuances for individual year Mustang builds and members of this forum are most likely willing to offer you the most accurate information known at this time about such nuances. NEVER assume anything you read or see on the internet as "fact", most of us already understand that yet often we might get influenced by pictures or advise from others when all of the details are not understood or known.

Good luck with your project but most of all, HAVE FUN with it ;) 
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

Yes, welcome. 

I suggest that you start by reviewing these posts:

Frequently asked questions:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.0

Article list
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5725.0

Hardware spreadsheet
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10788.0

Then, as Richard mentioned, perform a key word search for more focused answers.

After that, if you still have not found what you are looking for (no, not the song) then post a specific question.

John
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline mjd 65

Welcome to the forum!  As others have stated, the search function is a great resource. Virtually every question you can think of has probably been asked and answered at some point. 

If you have any specific questions, you will get betters answers if you post in the 64-1/2-66 section of the forum, and identify the plant in which your car was made as well as the production date.  It's  a good idea to put this info in your signature so you don't need to repeat it in each post.

With regard to the 65 engine gold,there seems to be two different shades. The early 65 gold was lighter, while later 65s used a slightly darker and deeper gold.  If you want to go the spray can route, National Parts Depot sells a custom formulation which matches the later 65 gold.

Best of luck in your restoration journey. Until last year, my 65 had been sitting unrestored  since 1980, so I know the meaning of a long term project!   ;D

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 11:53:23 AM by mjd 65 »
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Welcome to the forum, as others have mentioned, lots of info discussed already here with pictures.

With regard to the 65 engine gold,there seems to be two different shades. The early 65 gold was lighter, while later 65s used a slightly darker and deeper gold.  If you want to go the spray can route, National Parts Depot sells a custom formulation which matches the later 65 gold.

My observations have been the opposite, deep gold on early, lighter on later.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline mjd 65

Welcome to the forum, as others have mentioned, lots of info discussed already here with pictures.

My observations have been the opposite, deep gold on early, lighter on later.

You are right as always, Charles, my old brain just got it backwards!
Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
..........I will need to figure out paint brands to use, heat sensitivity, correct colors, tips, etc.

Welcome to the site Sure using the search you will find discussions about choice for types of paint (currently the supply/availability is changing for some of the recommended spray gun paints)   as well as pictures of others efforts in painting the engines as they were originally. Also what was attached to the blick at the time the engine was painted as a unit.

Do you have references to where I can find this info? Build sheets? Books? Internet link?

Would suggest that you have your reference - you found the site ;) Wrapping the information in a book jacket would not make it any more worth of your trust IMHO

Hope the site provides you with your needs and answers for you concours based questions

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)