Author Topic: Engine Oil Dipstick Tube - 68 302  (Read 1272 times)

Offline 66427

Engine Oil Dipstick Tube - 68 302
« on: June 29, 2016, 05:22:36 PM »
What sheen of black is the Engine Oil Dipstick Tube on a 68 302?
Dave
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 05:42:07 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Engine Oil Dipstick Tube - 68 302
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 05:41:54 PM »
It was attached to the engine prior to it being painted as a unit Corporate Blue - not black

If you do a search there are numerous pictures of original engines and this detail as well as others related to painting the engine ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66427

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:25:38 PM »
Jeff
Quite honestly I had searched within the 68s and didn't find what I was looking for.
I've came to two conclusions,I'm not very good with the searches and secondly it would be nice
If all the experienced guys got together and produced a book with all colors and sheens
Like  Mcneish did for the Z28 guys.
While I'm at it an assembly manual as good as the Corvette guys have.You could buy
A car in boxes and put it together with there assembly manuals.I know..........
There copies of the factory.An Illustrator and exploited views that were legible would be great
For all guys entering the Mustang world.
Researching on the internet every time you want to bolt something on is a pain in the ass.
Looks like I'm pulling out the airbrush:(
Might be profitable for you,Pete,Bob and Tim?
Thanks
Dave

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:42:26 PM »
Jeff
Quite honestly I had searched within the 68s and didn't find what I was looking for.

Used the words "68 unrestored" and found the following

Pictures E&, E8 & E10

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=13807.msg85559#msg85559

This one only shows the handle

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=7574.msg43180#msg43180

Hidden in first picture

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6385.msg36097#msg36097

Could find more ... :)

Guess we should consider putting this (what was attached to the short block when it was painted) in the FAQ's of each section

I've came to two conclusions,I'm not very good with the searches and secondly it would be nice
If all the experienced guys got together and produced a book with all colors and sheens
Like  Mcneish did for the Z28 guys.

Been asked a few times  ::) Difference (why the Corvette was easier) is you have the times the number of plants and additional body style, tons more engine and options as well as we're learning all the time which makes a print book out of date once its published.  As mentioned a a couple of threads. Have seem attempts where the authors focused on one model and year and those were either limited or became so large and had such a limited market it never got to the publisher. This last example ( I do have an original draft) just covered the hardware (nuts and bolts) found in the engine compartment and it is three inches thick. Also it was written before the focus on the differences between the plants and months so if it did it might be double that size.

Seems IMHO that no one want to tackle the whole thing or produce a partial effort - so the next option was this site

Past discussion somewhat related - believe there are others

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=8219.msg50842#msg50842
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 10:49:21 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 66427

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 01:47:08 AM »
Jeff
I would had never thought to have searched 68 unrestored.
I searched painting 1968 302,painting engine etc.
Why would I beginner like myself search 68 unrestored when searching for painting the engine?
Like I said,I'm not good with searching.
I spoke to another judge on the phone tonight,he stated same thing...too many factories doing things a little different than the other...I'm wrong I will admit it,had a bad day.
I apologize.
In the FAQs,would be nice to see what is bolted on block when being painted,if it's not there.
I didn't think too look.
Long Day
Sorry
Dave

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 10:46:49 AM »
...too many factories doing things a little different than the other...

On the plus side, engines within a family were all painted at one engine plant, so the components that were installed prior to painting are consistent between car assembly plants. Accessories installed at the car assembly plant could still differ, of course.

On the minus side, service parts are commonly not finished the same way as assembly parts. So when people see a bare metal or black NOS (or vintage-installed service) dipstick tube, it can lead to the incorrect belief that that's how they were finished when originally installed.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.