Author Topic: Steering wheel question  (Read 2989 times)

Offline Chris

Steering wheel question
« on: April 24, 2016, 11:34:30 AM »
My 64 1/2 has had a 65 deluxe steering wheel in it since I bought it...and my horns have never worked, no surprise. Now that I'm looking to fix this, is it possible to keep the same steering wheel and change the internals to make it work (horn brush, horn plate change out...anything else)?

I've not been able to find an original white 64 1/2 steering wheel, so I've just kept the incorrect 65 while I've been looking.

Chris
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Steering wheel question
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 01:59:14 PM »
I believe the lower contact ring is different between 64.5 and 65 steering wheels, 64.5 has a turn signal switch with a single contact whereas 65 is a double contact.

Unless you can make a 65 turn signal work in a 64.5, I'm not sure you can use the wood grain wheel.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Chris

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 09:42:04 PM »
Here is what I found when I disassembled the deluxe steering wheel off my 64 1/2:

- Picture 1 (initial condition): shows two posts with two different types of metal brushes coming out. The 64 1/2 is supposed to have just one post and one horn brush, like the plastic post shown at the 11- o'clock position in the picture. The second post (at 12 o'clock) is coming off a metal plate that attaches with two of the three screws holding the assembly onto the steering column.

- Picture 2 (black rubber block removed): shows the wire that I think powers the horn. Once the black rubber block was removed, the wire was visible below...not sure why this block was there or why there is a second post off the metal plate. I'm wondering if this was an adapter kit for the deluxe steering wheel.

- Picture 3 (lower metal plate and second post removed): shows what I think is the correct configuration for the 64 1/2 mustang. The horn brush was broken, so I pulled it out and replaced it (report brush).

- Picture 4 (new steering wheel and horn brush): shows it put back together with the hole in the steering wheel (4 o'clock position) for the second horn brush. The second horn brush sank down into the steering wheel below the plastic, so I think this is wrong as it won't make contact this way...but it fit and sank down to this depth.

The horn still does not work. I'm wondering if I have to replace the plastic piece on the steering column that connects power to the horns and holds the single horn brush. Then there is the question of the second horn brush sinking so low into the steering wheel, wonder if NOS horn brushes are longer.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 09:44:09 PM by Chris »

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 10:25:13 PM »
Did you install the spring loaded bushing that goes in the steering wheel?  There are 2, one in the switch and one in the wheel.

The repro's are really bad, best to use NOS.

Offline Chris

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 10:32:28 PM »
Yes, after I removed the metal plate with the second post, I installed a repro metal brush. After the steering wheel was put back on (before installing the horn button), I put the second metal brush in the unique hole in the steering wheel for generator cars. This second brush sits low in the hole.

Chris

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 01:51:35 PM »
The second brush may not be making contact, you can check this with a test light at the one in the steering wheel.

Offline Chris

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 01:58:47 PM »
I first checked that the horns themselves work by using a jumper wire and connecting one end to the horn and the other to the positive battery terminal. Both horns work fine.

I then took my volt meter and checked the wire coming into the horn ring below the steering wheel, this is the wire that sits directly below the brush inside the horn ring. I did not get a power reading from this wire, but I think it's supposed to be the "hot" wire that comes from the horns.

I took the volt meter and put one end inside the connection to the horn (connection from horn relay to horn) and did not get a power reading.

Does this mean my horn relay is bad?

Any help with diagnosing the issue?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Chris

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 02:57:33 PM »
I have power (12v) in one slot of the three-slot connector that plugs into the horn relay, two of the other slots in the connector do not show power. I attached the connector to the horn relay and checked the power going to the wire connected to the horn and there is no power.

Offline Chris

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 06:33:14 PM »
I got the horn working now when connecting the jumper to the wire and/or brush in the switch (horn ring). I think I may have a bad ground in the steering column, not sure why it was not getting the horn to sound previously. I'll have to see how it does once all assembled.

Remaining issue: horn brush that goes inside the hole of the steering wheel itself is sinking down too much, going completely inside the steering wheel. On the backside of the steering wheel is a steel/metal ring held on by three screws. There is nothing else under the plate when it's removed. The horn brush is not being guided or supported by anything inside the steering wheel once inserted, it seems like a part is missing? For 65/66 steering wheels, I think there is a rubber pad and metal plate under the main metal ring on the reverse of the steering wheel. Should 64 1/2 steering wheels have these...anything else?

This was a repro wheel for 64 1/2 from NPD.

Chris

Offline Chris

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 09:14:35 PM »
Pics attached.

Offline Chris

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2016, 09:32:34 PM »
No extra parts shown in the 64 1/2 Osborn electrical assembly manual.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2016, 10:28:27 PM »
Try stretching out the spring a bit to give it more length.

Offline Chris

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 11:05:11 PM »
Horn is fixed. Turns out what you need is a guide to hold the horn brush in place. The reproduction steering wheel just has a hole to insert the horn brush into the steering wheel. It then rests on the metal plate attached to the backside of the steering wheel. Problem is, the horn brush slides sideways against the metal support plate when pressed in, sinking into the steering wheel versus springing straight back up. The horn brush itself is plenty long, used NOS brush, it just needs support to keep from sliding along the smooth metal support plate, otherwise it bends and sinks into the steering wheel and won't make contact with the horn button.

I cut a plastic straw the depth of the hole, from the face of the hole on the steering wheel to the metal plate attached to the backside of the steering wheel (about 3/4 inch long). I then slit the straw lengthwise so that it would adjust to the diameter of the hole in the steering wheel that the horn brush goes in. This worked very well, supported the horn brush and prevented the sliding along the metal support plate.

Pics attached.

Offline mjd 65

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 12:37:10 AM »
I came across this video which gives a good illustration of the differences between the 64-1/2 and 65 steering wheels.

Mel
July 65 silver blue Metuchen hardtop