Author Topic: 65 K code GT Drive Shaft and Transmission Paint Marks  (Read 2428 times)

Offline larryharvey

65 K code GT Drive Shaft and Transmission Paint Marks
« on: April 15, 2016, 10:41:32 AM »
Gentlemen,

This is my first attempt to post pic's. I hope this may help better define the rime or reason for the markings.

I have owned this car since 1984 and just recently started the restoration process. The Dearborn GT was built April 13th.  vin# 5F09K6966594.

The transmission was cleaned with simple green only. While the drive shaft was soaked in Evaporust for three days.

I really appreciate this forum, great source for information.

Thanks Again,

Larry

65 April 13th Dearborn K code GT

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 65 K code GT Drive Shaft and Transmission Paint Marks
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 03:00:30 PM »
Thanks for posting and sharing.

Interesting that yours has the stenciled tube numbers on it.

Again thanks
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline larryharvey

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 08:45:12 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

I have a few more detail pictures. Didn't want to hog the site with these files. I should be ready to pull the front and rear suspension soon. Will post pic's prior to and after cleaning if paint marks are showing.
Larry
65 April 13th Dearborn K code GT

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 09:03:26 PM »
I have a few more detail pictures. Didn't want to hog the site with these files. I should be ready to pull the front and rear suspension soon. Will post pic's prior to and after cleaning if paint marks are showing.
Larry

Hogging???   Think what you've posted is one of the reasons people come here - to see what others have found on unrestored/original cars while including the specific details related to the findings.

Think you have a ways to go before you get too many pictures on the site.

As you find/post more we can just add them here and modify the title to reflect findings on a April 65 K code Deaarborn built fastback 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:06:59 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline acman63

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 06:35:23 PM »
typically on all the original  Gt350s Ive had here or looked at that the drive shaft was still the original  including the best untouched 65 GT350 #520   the stenciling was intact  . 

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 07:09:47 PM »
typically on all the original  Gt350s Ive had here or looked at that the drive shaft was still the original  including the best untouched 65 GT350 #520   the stenciling was intact  .

Seems to be a high percentage for some unknown reason (maybe a pet peeve of some worker on the line)  I've found about 2/3's of the early Shelby's (65 & 66's) with the stencils where you would (just from the information the workers have told us) would expect 33%. But that is mathematics verses random outcomes   :) 

K codes so far seem to be even high also. but so few good examples over the years and less as we go forward unfortunately
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bartman

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 11:31:15 AM »
Hi guys.  Here are photos of paint markings on my Aug 64 K code top loader.  Yellow paint in a circle on the underside and orange paint on the side of the case "K or R" and "8".  Could this indicate K code Aug. 64?  Also my car's VIN is stamped on the underside or the trans case.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 02:31:47 PM »
Hi guys.  Here are photos of paint markings on my Aug 64 K code top loader.  Yellow paint in a circle on the underside and orange paint on the side of the case "K or R" and "8".  Could this indicate K code Aug. 64?  Also my car's VIN is stamped on the underside or the trans case.

Don't believe the markings you found have any relationship with the application or when the transmission was installed. The transmissions were built weeks or months before the cars far from where the cars would be built in most cases. Believe what you found are inspectors, checks, and parts markings that indicated process had been checked or done as it moved through the assembly process.

The some what "matching" of some of the marks is just a coincidence IMHO after looking at hundreds of other examples
Jeff Speegle