Author Topic: Heater Control Panel Re-Chroming(slots) UPDATED 4-23-16  (Read 1797 times)

Offline Rbisch4

Heater Control Panel Re-Chroming(slots) UPDATED 4-23-16
« on: March 13, 2016, 06:37:00 PM »
After what I felt was a successful AM radio re-chroming of the strip just above the buttons I found myself with yet another re-chroming project, the Heater Control Panel.  I wanted to share my efforts, but if anyone has a better way please share your method so we have it recorded in the thread.

The typical silver paint is just not good enough for me so I pulled out my Bare-Metal Foil and went to work.  This area is much harder than the straight strip on the radio so there were multiple tries(more than 10 just on the top larger slot) to get it to an acceptable point for me.  I know this part of the dash is way down low in the car so I tried to keep that in mind, but if you are going to do something I always try and do it right.  I've attached some pictures so you can how it turned out.  It has the chrome shine that is much better than silver paint in my opinion which I tried to capture with my iphone camera.  I guess if you really wanted to do it right you can have it re-plated like the dash bezel and then paint, but that would be a very costly route let alone the turn around time which i do not have time for as we are in final assembly.

Enjoy.
Rob
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 06:03:48 PM by Rbisch4 »
1970 Mach 1 351 4V 4spd Metuchen Built

Offline Sean C. Gearty

• 1969 San Jose GT
Re: Heater Control Panel Re-Chroming(slots)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 09:07:01 PM »
nice work Rob,
where are you getting your silver foil and what type? what are you using as an adhesive?

Thanks for posting!

Offline Rbisch4

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 09:16:18 PM »
I order direct from Bare-metal foil.  Just do a google search for them.  There are lots of YouTube videos showing how to apply.  Modelers use it all the time.  That's where I got the idea.  It has adhesive on the back so nothing to worry about.  It is cheap at 6.75 a sheet plus shipping.  Good luck.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 06:54:07 PM »
Looks good. Have a sheet or two laying around to use sometimes. Might be a bit shinny compared to the original and of course the surface under the foil has to be perfect since the bright foil tends to magnify any imperfection
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 04:00:30 AM »
Bare Metal products makes Chrome, Aluminum, flat aluminum, Gold and Black foils. They also make an adhesive in situations where it needs a stronger bond. It will mimic the vacuum metalized edges well when you're using it properly.  I have been using it for years on models. Just remember, when burnished down, the surface has to be perfect, as it shows every flaw.

-Keith

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:29:27 PM by 1967 eight barrel »

Offline Rbisch4

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 08:38:53 AM »
Could not agree more that prep is key.  The upper slot Indid some work on first in filling some issues and sanding smooth, but I did not address every issue and see some of the smaller areas I did not address now are a little more visible.  It is simply a peel off, fix and redo.  Just like anything, it takes time when you first start trying a new process to get it right.

Offline Rbisch4

Re: Heater Control Panel Re-Chroming(slots) UPDATED 4-23-16
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2016, 06:02:45 PM »
Hello everyone.  In my own OCD way I could not leave well enough alone so I found yet another way to re-chrome the heater control slots. This time the materials included chrome vinyl wrap, heat gun and an sharp razor to trim.  Take a look and see what you think.