Author Topic: NOS Radiator Hoses Value & Aging  (Read 2371 times)

Offline sanluis09

NOS Radiator Hoses Value & Aging
« on: April 08, 2016, 07:45:17 PM »
Hi,

Which will be a fair price to pay for a set of NOS FoMoCo stamped radiator hoses (upper & lower, true authentic assembly line item, not a service replacement)? The part numbers: C4ZE-8260-A & C4ZE-8286-A.

And finally, I'm concerned about someone who says that a serious problem with NOS and other old hoses is that there are microscopic voids in the rubber from aging and ozone, which allows coolant to penetrate to the exposed carbon. This hastens electrolysis of the metals in the system, due to conductivity.  Put a voltmeter between the coolant in the radiator neck and ground, and it is likely you will be suprised at the reading. This is why newer vehicles require a specific formula due to the extensive use of dissimilar metals. It is a good practice on old cars to replace the hoses and coolant about every three or four years at the most. It is also one of the primary reasons old Ford aluminum heads deteriorate more quickly than iron.

What do you think?

Thank you
Luis
1965 WW Hardtop, 289-2V, 3-speed manual transmission. Unrestored. Assembled in Mexico on the time frame of: Oct 64-Feb 65.

Offline MattDoscher

Re: NOS Radiator Hoses Value & Aging
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:12:30 PM »
If you drive the car regularly I personally would not trust or drive the car w/ NOS hoses on it just for the simple fact that they are aged and could be dry rotted and could have lost their strength.  The cooling system is pressurized when at normal operating temperature and having an old hose burst would be quite messy!  On the other hand if the car is strictly trailered and only run to get on/off the trailer and in/out the garage then that's a different story.

Matt
Matt Doscher

1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 11:41:19 PM »
Read up on Evans water-less coolant.  I wouldn't use NOS hoses without it.

The thing about some NOS parts is we don't know how they were stored over the years.  Could have been in someone's garage attic for 25 years or in a closet inside a house.  Personally, I would be wary of using NOS hoses (true factory line parts) on a car that is driven on a regular basis.  I would most likely save them for a trailered or T-bred car.  If I had to drive the car, I'd swap the hoses out with repro for driving.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline outlawincorporated

• Kangaroo Herder
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »
+1 to Charles comment.

regards.

PHILL BERESFORD.
MELBOURNE.
AUSTRALIA.
ITS ONLY EVER ORIGINAL ONCE!!!!!

MCA GOLD CARD JUDGE 1ST GENERATION.  MCA #68589

Offline bgp429

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 05:33:55 PM »
Never heard about this product. Have the motor out, now would be the time to change over. Has anyone used it in a Boss 9? Is it compatible with the o-rings?

Read up on Evans water-less coolant.  I wouldn't use NOS hoses without it.

The thing about some NOS parts is we don't know how they were stored over the years.  Could have been in someone's garage attic for 25 years or in a closet inside a house.  Personally, I would be wary of using NOS hoses (true factory line parts) on a car that is driven on a regular basis.  I would most likely save them for a trailered or T-bred car.  If I had to drive the car, I'd swap the hoses out with repro for driving.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 01:29:12 AM »
Yes, compatible, with no issues.  Jay Leno uses it in all of his cars.

Offline sanluis09

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 11:54:05 AM »
Yes, compatible, with no issues.  Jay Leno uses it in all of his cars.

That seems to be an excellent product. Unfortunately, it is not available here in Mexico.  :'(

And what about the value of NOS hoses? How much would you pay for a pair of NOS assemble line hoses?

Regards
Luis
1965 WW Hardtop, 289-2V, 3-speed manual transmission. Unrestored. Assembled in Mexico on the time frame of: Oct 64-Feb 65.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 04:55:10 PM »
And what about the value of NOS hoses? How much would you pay for a pair of NOS assemble line hoses?

Assembly line hoses can go anywhere from $200-600 each.

Offline sanluis09

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 05:36:41 PM »
Assembly line hoses can go anywhere from $200-600 each.

Thank you Charles!

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 12:24:38 AM »
Never heard about this product. Have the motor out, now would be the time to change over. Has anyone used it in a Boss 9? Is it compatible with the o-rings?
FYI there can't be any remnants of water in the block. Likewise heater core or radiator etc. There is a procedure that they (evans) explain how to flush the water out of the  block etc. The evans is not compatible with water.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby