Author Topic: 69 Mach 1 428 SCJ 4 spd DriveShaft Identification  (Read 738 times)

Offline okbicyclr1

• I know it is an H code, Metuchin installed a 428
69 Mach 1 428 SCJ 4 spd DriveShaft Identification
« on: March 18, 2020, 03:55:34 PM »
I purchased a "restored" 69 a few years ago and have been on an adventure ever since with oddities and things that make me smack my head in wonder.  I now have a leaking pinion seal so I was looking at the driveshaft as I was deciding next steps.  There was something odd and after research, I am still boggled.  In the driveline restoration article, Jeff mentions a tube-in-a-tube driveline but I can find no reference to it in the MPAC.  Mine appears to have that feature as well as a dampener at the transmission end. I am hopeful someone here can help with identification.  I don't believe it is a 69 Mustang driveline.  The photos over at 428Cobra Jet Registry certainly don't show this type of driveline.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:08:46 PM by J_Speegle »
John
9T02H173858
Metuchen 428 SCJ 4 speed
Born March 3,1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Mach 1 428 SCJ 4 Spd DriveShaft Identification
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 04:15:19 PM »
Can't really see the driveline in the pictures. From your post I take it that its not a tube in tube (would not expect it on this application) but is the tube the same diameter from one end to the other or does it increase or decrease (since we don't know its origin) ?  What is the diameter of the tube?

All these would help identify

Now if your asking about the front yoke - Nope that's not correct for your application

While we're going through the list - Is this a 4 speed or automatic car/application?

PS : moving the thread over to the 69-70 section since your question relates to a single year and application ;)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:10:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline okbicyclr1

Re: 69 Mach 1 428 SCJ 4 Spd DriveShaft Identification
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 04:46:12 PM »
Thanks Jeff.  The car is a 4 speed top loader.  The photo of the yoke end at the diff shows a smaller diameter tube bonded into a larger tube, I haven't measured the tubes yet, with some type of rubber/elastomer, at least on my computer it is visible.  Of course, I have looked at the actual driveline so I know what I am seeing.  I am going to replace the driveshaft anyway unless it is some ultra rare Metuchen plant driveline.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 08:10:08 PM by J_Speegle »
John
9T02H173858
Metuchen 428 SCJ 4 speed
Born March 3,1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 69 Mach 1 428 SCJ 4 spd DriveShaft Identification
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 08:16:14 PM »
Thanks the application helps

We know that there are four drivelines and they are identified by different identification markins on buildsheets. CJ with automatic, CJ with 4 speed, SCJ with automatic and SCJ with four speed

Believe this is and its what was described  identified as a 69 4 speed SCJ driveline. Take notice that this is a larger tube through the center section (makes sense) that tappers down at the end to use the same end (driveline) yokes. All one solid tube. Will not likely be an easy one to find

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle

Offline okbicyclr1

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 09:37:00 PM »
Jeff,  thanks!  I thought the “tapered” driveshaft was only for the 428 SCJ automatic. Of course, I have read so many threads and blogs that I am a bit fuzzy!
John
9T02H173858
Metuchen 428 SCJ 4 speed
Born March 3,1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 02:36:45 PM »
Not sure why they would put a larger one on an automatic verses a 4 speed

Sure others may have some additional in site can only share what others have shared or I've collected. Looked through a fair number of pictures and that is what I came up with., To bad the stripes are not visible or we could have cross checked it against know buildsheet identification colors
Jeff Speegle

Offline okbicyclr1

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2020, 03:01:39 PM »
Jeff, Thanks!  This car is always a source of wonderment.  Not only is the driveshaft wrong but the u-joint and yoke on the differential are wrong as well.  Jack over at Dead Nuts On is working with me to get the right bits so I feel like it is in good hands.

According to Kevin Marti, this car was supposed to be 351-2V but the factory put the 428SCJ in and added the other drag pack bits.  I don't know if a change order came in before it was bucked or they just had the stuff laying around.  Finding small block parts on it probably shouldn't surprise me.

Thanks,
John
John
9T02H173858
Metuchen 428 SCJ 4 speed
Born March 3,1969

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2020, 04:25:59 PM »
According to Kevin Marti, this car was supposed to be 351-2V but the factory put the 428SCJ in and added the other drag pack bits.  I don't know if a change order came in before it was bucked or they just had the stuff laying around.  Finding small block parts on it probably shouldn't surprise me.

Don't understand how he could determine that from the data Ford provided but will leave it at that :)  Maybe its like the 69 coupe that I owned where it wasn't in the Ford data just what was present once we got the car apart and tried to explain what we saw based on the original sheet metal, layout and facts.  Guess this isn't the time or place to go into any of the details of either here in this thread
Jeff Speegle

Offline okbicyclr1

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 04:29:11 PM »
Agreed.  Thanks for all of your help on this. 
John
9T02H173858
Metuchen 428 SCJ 4 speed
Born March 3,1969