Author Topic: APRIL 28 1964 CONVERTIBLE INSPECTION  (Read 2697 times)

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

APRIL 28 1964 CONVERTIBLE INSPECTION
« on: January 14, 2016, 08:41:38 AM »
Today I have a 64.5 D code convertible to inspect, it's a "Detroit car" the seller said.

Besides the basics,  what are the most important aspects of an early D code convertible?  Are the 64.5 D convertibles worth more than a comparable 1965 or 1966?

The seller advised me that the hood does not have the usual "flat corner".  If the car does not have the early hood, then does that mean the obvious or did some early cars come with a 65 hood?

What date code range would the hood have if it's original?  Here are a few pics that I was able to get.

Please advise, and thank you. 

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: APRIL 28 1964 CONVERTIBLE INSPECTION
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 10:14:01 AM »
Today I have a 64.5 D code convertible to inspect, it's a "Detroit car" the seller said.{/quote]

Dearborn was the only plant making them at the beginning of production.

Besides the basics,  what are the most important aspects of an early D code convertible?  Are the 64.5 D convertibles worth more than a comparable 1965 or 1966?

Not really, unless there is some interesting history.

The seller advised me that the hood does not have the usual "flat corner".  If the car does not have the early hood, then does that mean the obvious or did some early cars come with a 65 hood?

What date code range would the hood have if it's original?  Here are a few pics that I was able to get.

The first hood used would not be the typical "64 1/2" hood.  It would look like a regular '65 hood, but on the bottom at the front, there is a large indented area where the hood pin attaches, that area would be void of the small crash triangles found on later hoods.  There are actually at least 4 styles of hoods used from the beginning of 64.5 production through 66.

The transition date to the normal 64 1/2 hood is late April '64. 

If you post a pic of the bottom of the hood, it will be easy to determine which one it is.  Regardless of the hood, all 64.5 have the beveled headlight assemblies.

As far as other items, a car that early probably would have had the stationary RH seat, otherwise all the normal stuff that you'll read about unique to 64.5.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 12:15:55 PM »
Thank you Charles. I will post pictures if I can get to the car in time. What was your impression of the engine picture with respect to the possibility of original paint and components?  Was the power steering pump that color? 

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 12:19:41 PM »
what i see is the vacuum advance canister is incorrect. it is an aftermarket replacement. the rubber hose should be a metal line. yes the power steering resevoir is argent. the pump itself would be semi gloss black. also all the hose clamps are incorrect style.
5F09C331248

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 01:04:27 PM »
What was your impression of the engine picture with respect to the possibility of original paint and components?

Hard to tell from the one pic.  Fred pointed out the replacement parts.

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 02:57:18 PM »
I'm guessing the car has a Cali DSO since it looks like it has the hose from the air cleaner to the oil cap
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 05:33:15 PM »

The few examples of April cars I have records of had March dated hoods
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 10:29:06 PM »
I will be posting pictures in a few hours of the 64.5.

I passed on the car for a number of reasons, first and foremost the engine didn't sound right. It was running rough cold and the roughness was unchanged at normal operating temperature. New spark plugs cap and wires indicated to me that the engine had a bad valve or some other defect.

The drivers upper apron had a slight bulge and the wiring looked unstable. The paint was uniformly 10 mils which means the car had a complete paintjob and was stripped down to bare steel at some point.  By itself that is a very good sign, but when texture was evident through the cowl vent and the same texture was seen on the undercoating, it is clear that the car is a remade rust bucket with a attempt to hide the fact.

But it was fun and I need to learn more from you guys!  Ill be back soon with the pics of the hood, thanks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 05:06:24 AM by 69cobrajetrugae2 »

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 08:26:15 AM »
Pictures of the hood.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 09:55:48 AM »
DSO 41 is Chicago - where is the car now? It's not unusual for a "salt belt" car to rust out the underside front edge of the hood - so far it's looking OK. [I don't know if they use as much salt "down south" in Illinois as we do farther north]

What does the underside look like? The torque boxes, front floors, and trunk floors go first, although the entire floor is subject to problems on a convertible. (only left the top down once in a rainstorm on my '69 Cougar...) That will tell you whether it's a "rust bucket". Around here it's not a rust bucket if it has more floor left than Fred Flintstone's car  :D  ::)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 09:59:22 AM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Online aaatp

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 09:58:57 AM »
Sure looks like a 66 hood doesn't it?

John

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 11:01:01 AM »
Sure looks like a 66 hood doesn't it?

Yep, it's a '66 style hood, also what would typically be the type if one bought a new hood from Ford.

Online aaatp

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 11:45:40 AM »
Bought an NOS Ford hood about ten years ago, still in the original box. It was primered in black and tag on the box showed it was made in the early 90's. It was a 66 style hood.

John

Offline 69cobrajetrugae2

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 01:19:52 PM »
Thanks guys!

I didn't look under the car, that would have been the next step had the car been dry.  The cowl in front of the windshield had a heavy coat of paint on both sides and there was heavy texture evident inside. The undercoating was so thick and heavy that any cutwork would be hidden. It looked like it was applied with a trowel.  I will not buy a mustang if I cannot inspect the subframe. At first glance it looked good, but fell apart in a hurry.

The best mustangs are the ones that don't look good, torn seats, bumps and bruises, warped dash, headliner falling, and the seller wants top dollar and most buyers pass, except me. Two of the last three we acquired have original date coded radiators, tight suspensions and steering and brakes, no undercoating and the only rust is on the 65 and 68 fastbacks, a tiny bubble on the front lower door and the inside forward lower door seam, the 68 has mud in the lower rear quarters, the rest of both car body's are dry as a bone. One way to spot a dry mustang from 10 feet away is the door panels. If they have been replaced or the originals are warped, it's wet. Every Mustang we acquired have the original dry flat door panels and carpet.