Author Topic: Most accurate floor pan available  (Read 1190 times)

Offline 3 Pedals

Most accurate floor pan available
« on: January 13, 2016, 05:57:45 PM »
I am a long-time Mustang owner but first post  (this is a great site and I've spent hours reading and learning here). I need to do some patching of floor pans on a 1967 San Jose car built Jan 1967.
1) I have found that Dynacorn, Goodmark, Scott Drake and American Designs manufacture floor pans along with an unidentified "Canadian manufacturer." Are there other manufacturers of floor pans I have missed?
2) Which manufacturer makes the most accurate floor pan?

I am mainly interested in the front floor pans but others may benefit from a general discussion of rear pans, full length pans and full floors.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Most accurate floor pan available
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 06:46:27 PM »
Welcome!

In my humble opinion, FORD makes the best floorpans available. It is still possible to find good donor cars from the southwest if you look.

Most restorers today would prefer this route instead of the random mis-fitment of replacement panels. Often times a good metal worker can weld in the donor panels, leaving the original spotwelds intact, making the replacement undetectable in most cases when done right. Most aftermarket panels will work too in a pinch but It is strongly suggested when doing so, to be an expert welder yourself or to have a pro welder/metal worker do it for you.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 06:50:13 PM »
I was very happy with the Dynacorn full floor I used, it took very minimal fitting. I would say it was 96% accurate.
Marty

Offline 3 Pedals

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 12:59:59 PM »
Getting floors from a donor '67 would be ideal but it may be a challenge to get someone from the shop to drag their equipment to a donor car to remove.
      In another post I read, I believe someone else recommended Dynacorn also as being very close to the originals. Thank you for your replies.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:52:58 PM by 3 Pedals »

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 01:34:22 PM »
Thank you for the replies. Getting floors from a donor '67 would be ideal but it may be a challenge to get someone from the shop to drag their equipment to a donor car to remove.

If its still attached to the donor car it's easier just to bring the donor body to the shop so they can remove what is needed. Today with the concerns about details may shops choose to just remove patch panels (smaller panels for just the areas needed) so that the original panel dates remain and the original attaching welds for the major panel remain since they can be difficult to duplicate

If purchasing from a wrecking yard they normally provide the panel cut around the area so that you have minimal extra but the panel of choice remains uncut.

Example, I was at a yard a while back where someone ordered a floor and the yard simply cut off everything above 6" above the panel. Was being shipped from the US to Oz
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)