Author Topic: 67 Accent Stripe  (Read 2140 times)

Offline mwilkin

67 Accent Stripe
« on: January 04, 2016, 10:57:50 PM »
I have a 67 Mustang Convertible which according to the build sheet came with an accent stripe.  My issues is no one can tell me how to properly apply the stripe.  I am fairly sure the stripe was 3/32 inches wide and roller painted on the car.  What I don't know is how far down from the top edge of the body line the stripe was applied.   I have heard it was from anything from 1/8 to 1 inch from the edge.  Also I have see brochures where the strip started from the head lamp door or at the start of the front fender peek or even after the peek.  The end of the stripe is also an issue.  Some people and brochures have the stripe ending right before the bumper while other people say it ends an inch or two above the bumper.  Who can tell me what Ford had intended?  I know not to trust what is in the brochures since these photos were usually taken with pre-production cars and a lot of times the paint or options did not make production.  I think what it is going to take is my paint guy and me taping the car and see what looks best.  Any help would be appreciated.  I could have sworn Mustang Monthly had written an article about this a few years back but I cannot find it.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Accent Stripe
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 11:19:29 PM »
First welcome to the site. As always we home that you find the information contain within helpful in your concours related efforts

With that said - have you tried the search feature?

Se that there are three prior threads including one with measurements and close ups of factory 67 pinstripes shown in great detail

Give it a try ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 11:49:30 PM »
Our 68 HCS had the paint stripe option. I did a lot of research before we had it painted on.

Offline mwilkin

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 12:04:10 AM »
I had to expand my search but I found the thread where the original stripe was measured.  This confirms where some people had indicated it was about 1 inch from the top body line.  I have heard a lot of people say the stripe was 3/32 wide but the measurements in the photo show 1/8 wide.  I really suspect since this was put on manually in the plant that each plant and each person who put them on will be different.  The photo with CS shows the stripe much closer to the top body line then the unrestored fastback.  I have seen this on several other photos in magazines and posted photos from other sites.  I have also seen the same 1 inch distance on other photos where they indicated the strip was factory original.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 04:58:00 AM »
I had to expand my search but I found the thread where the original stripe was measured.

I just used "accent stripe" But like any search engine you sometimes have to play the combinations  :)

This confirms where some people had indicated it was about 1 inch from the top body line.  I have heard a lot of people say the stripe was 3/32 wide but the measurements in the photo show 1/8 wide.  I really suspect since this was put on manually in the plant that each plant and each person who put them on will be different. 

Don't believe it would vary that much they used a pinstripe tool to apply them. It was a small metal container with a felt wheel that applied the paint. If pressed hard the felt wheel would be destroyed or wobble creating anything but a straight line. By the 60's they were not free handing like what was done in the 40's. Same sort of tool was used to stripe around the Boss 302 hood black out and original examples of those seem to be very close to one another in width. If they had been done by hand you would have seen allot more tapered ends on factory pinstripes the tool left a dull somewhat square end when lifted

The sold the tools at every swap meet and you would see ads for them from time to time in magazines. Think we had one at one point though they were frowned upon by the traditional pinstripers

The photo with CS shows the stripe much closer to the top body line then the unrestored fastback.  I have seen this on several other photos in magazines and posted photos from other sites.  I have also seen the same 1 inch distance on other photos where they indicated the strip was factory original

Guessing that the most of the pictures you've seen are on cars that have been redone. IMHO not always the best place to get your info. Best would be to find other examples from the same year and plant to find what the couple of guys were doing there at the time
Jeff Speegle

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 08:42:39 AM »
Here is a picture from a 67 Ford dealers option catalogue.
Also a picture of our 68 HCS with original paint, built in San Jose.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:51:57 AM by ruppstang »

Offline mwilkin

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »
The photo of the stripe on the red CS Mustang looks to be in the same location as the other Mustang which was measured.  The measurement was close to 1 finch from the top edge.  Looking at some of the brochures and some original paint pictures I see the stripe just as close to the door handle.  So I am fairly sure 1 inch from the top edge is correct.  Thanks for all your help.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 09:34:08 PM »
The photo of the stripe on the red CS Mustang looks to be in the same location as the other Mustang which was measured.  The measurement was close to 1 finch from the top edge.  Looking at some of the brochures and some original paint pictures I see the stripe just as close to the door handle.  So I am fairly sure 1 inch from the top edge is correct.  Thanks for all your help.

Remember that drawings and pictures in brochures often include details different from production cars since they were produced many months before production started.

IMHO I wouldn't use 68 cars as a guide for my 67 car any more than I would use a 66 or 70 ;)
Jeff Speegle