Author Topic: A code 4 V correct Exhaust tips  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Rossco

A code 4 V correct Exhaust tips
« on: January 02, 2016, 04:23:23 PM »
Hi everyone

Could anyone tell me the correct exhaust tips for an A Code 289 4v none GT car, with dual exhaust valance

Ross

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: A code 4 V correct Exhaust tips
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:52:39 PM »
Here is the back end shot of a A code GTA San Jose car. It might explain a few things - or at least provoke a few questions and follow up ;)

Just as a note - there is nothing in 67 as a dual exhaust rear valance. Many original dual exhaust cars received the flat no cutout rear valances originally. Sounds like a PO took some creative license with the car. Not unusual after all these years

Next/follow up posts will likely deal with the whole dual exhaust thing. Its best we teach rather then tell  at times :)

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gtamustang

• CPM
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 10:21:35 AM »
As Jeff says that we should teach...

For 1967 mustangs to have dual exhaust from the factory, the rear floor pans (the area under the rear seat and going up on the rear axle tunnel) had re-enforcing sheet metal spot welded from the interior. I don't have a vast photo gallery of Mustangs as Jeff does, so I will rely on him to post pictures of the floor pan re-enforcement. I believe  these re-enforcement plates came into use on all dual exhaust mustangs from the very beginning of mustang production. If your mustang does not have the floor pan re-enforcement plates then I doubt your 67 mustang came with dual exhaust from the factory.

Also the rear frame rail holes where the tailpipe hangers mounted typically had inserts. Having these inserts did not guarantee that the mustang came with dual exhaust as there are a few documented cases of the inserts on non-dual exhaust mustangs.

Through research and conversation with Kevin Marti, the two of us reached the conclusion that only S- and K-code mustangs received dual exhaust from the factory for the 1967 model production. All 1967 A-codes, regardless if it was a GT or not did not receive dual exhaust from the factory. Moreover, there never was an option on the factory order forms to specify dual exhaust either!

One point that Jeff made that I want to further clarify. The rear valance with the dual exhaust cutouts was only used on mustangs with the GT option AND either K- or S-code motors. While all K-code 67s came with the GT option, not all S-code 67s did. Thus, there were many S-code 67s with the standard the rear valance and turn-down exhaust.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Pete Morgan

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 11:07:03 AM »
As Jeff says that we should teach...

For 1967 mustangs to have dual exhaust from the factory, the rear floor pans (the area under the rear seat and going up on the rear axle tunnel) had re-enforcing sheet metal spot welded from the interior. I don't have a vast photo gallery of Mustangs as Jeff does, so I will rely on him to post pictures of the floor pan re-enforcement. I believe  these re-enforcement plates came into use on all dual exhaust mustangs from the very beginning of mustang production. If your mustang does not have the floor pan re-enforcement plates then I doubt your 67 mustang came with dual exhaust from the factory.

Also the rear frame rail holes where the tailpipe hangers mounted typically had inserts. Having these inserts did not guarantee that the mustang came with dual exhaust as there are a few documented cases of the inserts on non-dual exhaust mustangs.

Through research and conversation with Kevin Marti, the two of us reached the conclusion that only S- and K-code mustangs received dual exhaust from the factory for the 1967 model production. All 1967 A-codes, regardless if it was a GT or not did not receive dual exhaust from the factory. Moreover, there never was an option on the factory order forms to specify dual exhaust either!

One point that Jeff made that I want to further clarify. The rear valance with the dual exhaust cutouts was only used on mustangs with the GT option AND either K- or S-code motors. While all K-code 67s came with the GT option, not all S-code 67s did. Thus, there were many S-code 67s with the standard the rear valance and turn-down exhaust.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Pete Morgan

+++1
Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 02:35:48 PM »
Thanks Pete for completing the circle. Figured that one of a handful would complete the package and you came through as expected  :)

Thought the message delivered in steps/stages was better this time
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)