Author Topic: 67 ribbed panel body color finish  (Read 4754 times)

Offline socalgt

Re: 67 ribbed panel body color finish
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 07:16:10 PM »
Would I be correct that the grey that it sounds like was one of the original colors applied at the factory was the same as the gray on the styled wheels?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »
Would I be correct that the grey that it sounds like was one of the original colors applied at the factory was the same as the gray on the styled wheels?

Don't believe they are both the same color/paint code

Remember the gray was applied to the taillight panel (sheet metal behind ribbed panel) and to the end caps
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2015, 03:46:25 AM »
While, at least in my original 1967 or 1965-72 Master Parts Catalogs, I have no separate “Paint” Section, I do in my 1960-68 MPC. In the “Exterior Paint (Acrylic Enamel)” Section, is noted “Dark Gray Metallic, Code 5, Part Number AR60 1988 (Mustang tutone, lower back panel)".  This color and code also shows up under "Exterior Paint - Acrylic Repair Lacquer".
What makes this interesting is that beginning in 1966, all Fords were painted with Acrylic Enamel (AE); yet the tutone Dark Gray Metallic is noted in the "Exterior Paint (Acrylic Enamel)” Section as “AR” (Acrylic Lacquer).  It is my personal opinion that Ford, not wanting the tutone back panel to be "glossy" like the body paints, went to the Acrylic Lacquer, which in its unfinished, un-rubbed out, unbuffed state exhibited a "semi-gloss" or "semi-flat" appearance.  I cannot think of another reason for this being done.

In order to get a better "idea" of what the Dark Gray Metallic noted looked like, I had my DuPont jobber mix up a pint. Of course they don't do Acrylic Lacquer anymore due to all of the Fed regulations, so using the Ford Code for the Acrylic Lacquer, they mixed it in Chroma Premier; to this I have to add a "flattner" in order to do away with the gloss look.  A couple of years ago when a similar topic on VMF led to someone bringing up the color issue, a member replied that, to him, the SEM Dark Titanium Metallic, Part # 39263, looked very close to the original Ford Dark Gray Metallic, Code 5, AR60 1988.  I obtained a spray can of the SEM, and painted two sample pieces in order to compare the colors. Not wanting to mix my  high $ pint of mixed paint yet, I just brushed my sample right out of the can (no flattner), which I felt would be adequate for color comparison. As you can see by the attached pictures of the two samples, the SEM paint (at least to me) appears to have more black in it, and not as much metallic as the Ford Code mixed paint, which also appears to have more gray in it.  Of course if you've decided to not use the tutone option, your grills will be the same as the color of your car, and you won't have to worry about the Dark Gray Metallic.

I have also attached a picture (which I believe originally came from Jeff) that shows what he meant about how the paint was done underneath the rear grills.

Hope this helps,

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2015, 03:48:57 AM »
Whoops ! Somehow this didn't get attached.
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2015, 01:40:08 PM »
If you really want acrylic lacquer, it's available from carpaintonline.com.

I haven't tried their paint yet, but in the near future I plan to get samples of charcoal poly for my interior and my special order exterior color to test.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 06:57:42 PM »
I believe when I  remove the stock trim pieces from my tail lights there is a rubber gasket on the outside...does that remain in place when I install the new panels?  I guess this will be obvious when I go to install them, but thought I'd check before I begin the installation.