Author Topic: 67 NJ - Quarter panel extension washer???  (Read 1495 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
67 NJ - Quarter panel extension washer???
« on: December 06, 2015, 11:17:57 AM »
July 67 Metuchen coupe...are there flat washers between the sealer-nut and tail light panel?  Car I am working on has been apart many times - 5 of the 6 had both a nut and flat washer.  The sixth nut was not standard.
Thanks
Mark
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 05:19:23 PM by J_Speegle »
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline ruppstang

Re: Quarter panel extension washer???
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »
The assembly manual is your friend for details like this.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 04:54:38 PM »
Sorry can't tell you which style of washer was used for your plant and time period. Best compare the others you have.

Didn't have any NJ specific pictures of this area. These two styles were used at other plants

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 01:35:38 PM »
My nuts.....or more correctly, the nut/washer that are securing the quarter extensions to the vehicle are like the nut/washer pictured on the right in Jeff's post.  However, behind this nut/washer I found a slightly smaller flat washer that fits over the formed hole in the tail light panel.

I have the assembly manuals and will consult those prior to installation.

Thanks,
Mark
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 05:11:36 PM »
Mark,
 There is no callout for a separate washer. There is supposed to be a sealer material as part of the nut/washer assembly (373556-S100) and the sealer "may" have pulled thru the mounting hole in the body if the hole was off center or too large. As an assembly line fix, a washer was used - note "may". As this was the trunk area, there were standards (Ford or federal ?) to not allow exhaust gasses to enter (leak into) the trunk and the interior in general and this "may" have fixed that leak. I looked at the 64-66 manuals and they have a steel washer and sealer washer called out. On the other hand, previous owner may have not had the correct hardware.
Jim 
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 08:33:51 PM »
I have taken many of these apart and found the washer you have described. I believe that it is supplied in the AMK kits and may be shown on the drawing supplied with it.
Marty