Author Topic: 67 rear tail light optional "ribbed" panels  (Read 1530 times)

Offline socalgt

67 rear tail light optional "ribbed" panels
« on: December 04, 2015, 07:02:41 PM »
I'll be installing the panels on a fastback that did not have them originally installed at the factory.  I see that the additional 4 holes required for mounting each panel(not counting the 6 existing holes from the tail light trim) appear to be in a straight line with the existing holes for the tail lights.(not so on the coupe/convertible)  I'm thinking of snapping a chalk line across the center of those holes from the left side to the right.  I believe that should give me the right line to drill the additional holes, after of course, measuring their distance.  Any thoughts on this....or suggestions for another method?

Thanks...

Online jwc66k

Re: 67 rear tail light optional "ribbed" panels
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 08:11:15 PM »
Slap some masking tape where you think the holes will go. Use a pencil to mark the spot. Measure twice, drill once (measure once, stop, come back in and hour, start over).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:26:09 PM »
I would make a paper template off the panels then place it on the taillight panel lining up the 6 tail light holes and check the fit around the gas cap.
Just a idea.

Offline socalgt

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 10:41:23 AM »
Thanks for the replies....I may try the template  idea.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 12:28:32 PM »
...I may try the template  idea.

+1

Posterboard helps keep things rigid while creating such templates. Paper is OK too, works good on flat surfaces. I have occasionally began with paper to begin the template and transfer my "draft" template onto the posterboard.  I often prefer to use posterboard when you get into multi-dimensional templates.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 10:45:02 PM »
I have a question, if going for the concourse driven class. Would it be a point deduction to put the rear tail light panels on if they are not on the Marti Report?

Thanks,
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 01:33:11 AM »
 Currently the MCA does not require a Marti report. I do not know about the other clubs. So as long as the grills were installed correctly with the correct hardware there would be no deduction.