Author Topic: 289: Locking strap on exhaust manifold  (Read 2863 times)

Offline Building 3

289: Locking strap on exhaust manifold
« on: November 13, 2015, 05:12:47 PM »
289 exhaust manifold: Is the locking strap with the bent over tabs that secure the exhaust manifold bolts meant to be reused?  I am trying to keep this engine as original as possible. It seems that bending over the tabs several times would weaken them. These have probably been reused once or twice sometime in the past. Anyone have any experience one way or the other?  Thanks
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: 289: Locking strap on exhaust manifold
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 05:23:45 PM »
i generally replace them with new, then properly detail the area. you're correct they do break.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »
No reason for the factory to have moved them more that once (only during installation). After that they didn't care. Most rebuilders just threw them away.

A couple of pictures to help others with the feature being discussed

Have you researched to see if those style of locks were original on your car given the Dec 65 projected build date? Have Jan 66 cars with the washer style (first pictures I pulled up) If the car in your signature is the one your discussing in this thread

Of course its more important to compare when the engine was assembled but we don't always have that info

The 65 style

The new and improved style

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:55:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Building 3

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 02:44:37 PM »
Thanks for the response. No, this is not the car in my signature. That car has the later version without the strap. That is the car I have been restoring This forum has been very helpful in me getting that car right.
The car I am asking about had a projected build date of October 1965. The car has 25,000 miles on it and except for routine repairs appears original.  I can't find any evidence of body damage, prior restorations or replaced parts other than parts that were replaced for service or wear. So it is somewhat a survivor, certainly not a Thoroughbred, but interesting enough to me that I want to preserve as much as possible. I took the exhaust manifold off to inspect the mating surface of the manifold to the head because I heard a slight exhaust leak in that area. Now I need to decide if I reuse the straps which are rusted like the bolts and the manifold, use reproduction straps, or forget about them all together. Also, I would like not to use an exhaust manifold gasket because Ford did not originally use them but I have been told by several engine builders that after 50 years of use it might be a good idea. Any thought?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 05:11:19 PM »
The car I am asking about had a projected build date of October 1965. ............. Now I need to decide if I reuse the straps which are rusted like the bolts and the manifold, use reproduction straps, or forget about them all together.

Don't know what plant your dealing with and it appears that that could (depending on a bunch of factors) be right in the middle of the change over. Just based on the cars I have record of and the ones where this detail is shown

At Dearborn I found the change between cars #1680xx & #1697xx

At San Jose I found the changed between #12251x and #147xxx

Of course the cars were not built in sequential order nor were the engines install in that order either. So there are variables

So unless you have any reason to believe what you found is not original I would return what you found and move on to the next task

Also, I would like not to use an exhaust manifold gasket because Ford did not originally use them but I have been told by several engine builders that after 50 years of use it might be a good idea. Any thought?

Just have the manifolds machined so that they are flat and use them that way. Some will add a little graphite to the mating surfaces (like they did at the engine plant) or try and hide a thin coat of red (high temp) sealer to the surface. IF you choose this path go back after it dries with a dental pick and remove any visible sealant since it really shows  and should not be there ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 05:12:54 PM by carlite65 »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Richard P.

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 07:38:19 PM »
Does the October 1965 engine that you're asking about have the 1965 engine mounts? If so I'd believe that your engine came with the exhaust locks. I've reused a lot of 50 year old exhaust manifolds and never had a problem with the 289 engines. I have had some cracked 289 manifolds. I  have had problems with the six cylinder exhaust manifolds warping. I think that's because of the length of the six exhaust manifolds.

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 08:27:51 PM »
At Dearborn I found the change between cars #1680xx & #1697xx
At San Jose I found the changed between #12251x and #147xxx
Of course the cars were not built in sequential order nor were the engines install in that order either. So there are variables
The change over date of the straps would be more closely related to engine assembly date than car assembly date. Ford shows the "official" date of 1 November 1965 in Ford Car Parts. The dates for VIN's listed above are mid November for Dearborn (15-18th), and the 3rd week of October to the third week of December for San Jose, a much wider range. Yes, those are "scheduled" dates, and any one "scheduled" date may have a wide span of time between actual and scheduled, but a range of dates would be closer to reality (Permutations, Combinations and Probability 101).
My San Jose "A" code, 15 October 65, and my San Jose "K" code, 18 October 65, both had their correct respective tabs. The "A" code was a smog engine as well, and in its rebuild, upgraded the tabs and engine mounts to later 66 types. It's a driver. For the "K", I used the AMK supplied tabs and, with a little authentic California rust, they look good. I got into the habit of bending only one tag at each bolt for convenience. For shows, the second tab was bent.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline sgl66

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »
Oct 13 '65 bucked Metuchen car with Sept '65 engine assembly came with the locking style shown in Jeff's first picture.

If trying to reuse originals, you could try to heat them by running the engine before bending the tab
66 GT 6T09K12---- scheduled Oct 14, bucked Oct 13 '65

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 11:12:55 PM »
If trying to reuse originals, you could try to heat them by running the engine before bending the tab
You are straightening 32 tabs that are 50 years old. They are bare metal rusted tabs. One will break, maybe more. If one does, replace them all.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 09:08:42 AM »
Oct 13 '65 bucked Metuchen car with Sept '65 engine assembly came with the locking style shown in Jeff's first picture.

The engine won't get hot enough to have any effect. But you could anneal them with a propane torch (loose - not on the engine). Heat to a dull cherry red and let them cool slowly. Cooling in air should work fine, or you can put them in a bucket of sand or perlite.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline Building 3

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I had the exhaust manifolds machined and I will use the high temperature sealer. I will try to reuse the lock straps I have since I am certain they are original to the car.  If they break, I will get new ones.

For Jeff's data purposes, the car we are talking about is a Metuchen schedule build of October 16, 1965. The sheet metal dates and paint stamps verify that it was built around this time.  The VIN is 129,XXX. 289 2V automatic convertible, unrestored, 25,000 miles. I am trying to carefully correct some of the repairs done to it over the years but not restore the car.