Author Topic: Steering box, steering linkage, master cylinder, prop shaft paint or not  (Read 715 times)

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
On '65 FB GT from Metuchen, New Jersey are steering box, master cylinder, prop shaft without any painting or black paint?
unfortunaly no assembly date, maybe if I check on stamp body panels I may get close.
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline jwc66k

Re: Steering box, steering linkage, master cylinder, prop shaft paint or not
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 02:58:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
You can get an approximate scheduled build date from you VIN. Post it with "xx" in the last two numbers.
I believe the steering box for Metuchen cars was not painted. Master cylinders were painted black.
What is your definition of "prop shaft"?
Try the search feature of this forum for similar questions.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline racincast

• may 65 FB Metuchen
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 04:54:11 PM »
Hi Jim,
thanks for your attention, VIN#5T09A1605XX
propeler shaft
Need some time to get so many and important details.
José
Fastback GT 5T09A16XXXX
WIMBLEDON WHITE
Black Interior

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 05:16:03 PM »
First welcome to the site hope the support and information here is helpful in your concours related projects. Suggest that you at least try using the search feature since over the last ten years many of these subjects have been covered many times. When we get too many threads on the same subject it makes the searches more difficult (one reason we often merge multiples together) and it can be such a helpful tool though not perfect. Often these earlier threads will have pictures to illustrate he comments and details

As offered above the master cylinder would have been painted as a unit with small diameter plugs (creating paint shadows) at the fitting attachment points

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=2412.0

Steering linkage would be bare heat treated steel - unpainted other than a paint mark or two. There are dozens of threads on the finish and how members are reproducing the original look. Just one below

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17018.msg106660#msg106660

Steering box would be bare steel with different looks to the main case, end cap, cover, hardware. Its possible that the top was "blacked out" with a hasty brush pass of black paint ones installed creating drips running down the sides of the assembled box.

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=17018.0

Going to merge this thread with that one after a few days

Again welcome
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2021, 05:17:25 PM »
Hi Jim,
thanks for your attention, VIN#5T09A1605XX
propeler shaft

Would "propler" shaft be the drive line between the transmission and the rearend? If so check  out the article in the Library section on restoring drive lines
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2021, 07:33:48 PM »
VIN#5T09A1605XX
Jose,
Your Mustang was scheduled for the first week of May, 1965, Monday was the 3rd, Friday the 7th. Most of the records show the 5th and 6th as the heaviest scheduled days. Your build date "could" be a week or two either way, no assembly line records were saved for 66 model years and earlier.
I see you're in Portugal, which explains the use of some of your words. What's the story of how you got your car? The "travels" of a car are always of interest.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.