Author Topic: 67 390 engine wire harness  (Read 1579 times)

Offline preaction

67 390 engine wire harness
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
The harness I took off the engine has three wires, 2 black and one red with a green stripe with a red connector, the replacement I found is a red connector with one red with a green stripe, white with a white stripe, and red with a white stripe. The one that was on the engine seems to fit better because its longer to reach the oil sender better. Is it im just mis identifying when ordering a new one, thanks Paul.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: 67 390 engine wire harness
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:22:49 PM »
Wire colors don't make sense, unless the wires are covered by some sort of a sleeve.  Coil wire should be red/green; oil should be white/red, and water temp should be red/white.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline preaction

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 12:14:45 AM »
What was my concern is they may make the 68 model and list it for 67-68 because the market is smaller for the 67. The wire lengths are the same for both harness's but the boots are different. I realize that just because the first one was on the engine doesn't make it right, thanks Paul.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 06:44:35 AM »
I have had a similar experience on my 67 small block. Difference being that the differences in the two small block harnesses are not as obvious as the differences you have shown. I have purchased an Alloy Metal Concours Correct harness too. I accept mine as a good usable reproduction example but I can see why you do not exactly like the one you have.

Midlife (Randy) is correct that there looks to be a black protective sleeve on two of your wires of your original harness (there is only one sleeve on mine ~oil pressure wire) while the replacement harness looks to have NO SLEEVES at all on the one you have. The sleeve on my original was more of a vinyl tube (like a heat shrink tube) while the replacement was more of a cloth braided wrapping. The connectors to the senders closer match my originals, which closely resemble your originals but not the replacement ones you show.

Yes, your harness may not be the original. That is difficult to say. I know that Ford car lines often used same and different harnesses between different models, yet often they interchanged as a whole. They just looked different in the details, like you have noted.

I couldn't help notice that your packaging label calls out as an Alloy Metals product (Revision H) and I am sure moreso now, that there were multiple vendors building these harnesses for Ford back in the day and since Alloy Metal needs to provide a "One for ALL" design, that the "revision" you have is based on a different example. It is possible that Alloy Metal manufacturer knows of a few of the variations since the "revision" is "H", which seems to indicate 8 different versions    :o

This sounds like if you wish to match your harness EXACTLY, you would require sending out your original (or pictures of) to the manufacturer to have it custom made.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:47:54 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline preaction

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 01:05:13 PM »
The assembly manual only lists a part number and doesn't break down the colors as some assemblies have.

Offline preaction

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 06:44:34 PM »
This should have been called 67 engine gauge harness