Author Topic: Hood Hinge Spacers???  (Read 2056 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
Hood Hinge Spacers???
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:20:57 PM »
I have done a search on hood hinges and installation could not find an answer.  I am installing a used hood on a 67 that has had the fender aprons replaced.  With the fenders off of the car, the hood is slightly off center left-to-right at the cowl by approximately 1/8".  All other measurements to the cowl look good.  My question is: were spacers ever used between the aprons and the hood hinges?  If not, should I attempt to get the hood better centered or can I rely on the four (4) rubber fender bumpers to center the hood?  Thank you for your guidance.  Mark.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Hood Hinge Spacers???
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 09:02:53 PM »
I've never seen spacers used on 67-8's from the factory used in those locations

Sounds like the replacing of the inner fenders has produced or at least contributed to this problem. Since its only 1/* you might be able to increase one since of the openings in the hood hinge (where it bolts to the hood) (washer should cover the slight relief). This is after assuming that you have already moved the clip on the hood as far left or right as it will go in the slot
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 10:00:41 PM »
Thanks Jeff.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »
Here's some discussion of how "fine tuning" was done on the assembly line:

http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11047.msg68134#msg68134

::)    ;)
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 07:59:14 AM »
Was the cowl replaced? Just the inner fenders? Were they reproduction parts or NOS?

I'm hoping everything isn't already painted yet, but if it is, as Jeff mentioned, an 1/8" isn't a whole lot.

It has been my experience that such details ought to be fit into place as a test-run using a few sheet metal screws to secure the panels temporarily, before finish welding and most importantly, PRIOR TO PAINT.  This can save a lot of grief damaging the finishes on any of the panels. I think we take forgranted at times things will fit correctly because they went in so easily, especially if we buy NOS replacement parts.

If hogging out the hole sounds like a bad idea, then another option if you haven't painted the aprons yet would be to remove the hinge from the inner fender on the problem side, take a 2x4 and a heavy hammer and tamp the inner fender in about 3/16"-1/4" if possible, but at minimum the 1/8" you need. I don't mean to say "cave it in", I mean to say gently adjust it like the aforementioned thread shows pictures of. Personally, I would have wanted a test-fit of the hood prior to welding anything in.

Reproduction sheet metal will give you "fits" with fitment...nothing new.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline GT500KR

• Charlie Ping
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 10:10:41 AM »
Try this.
  Make sure the hood latch is removed before adjusting the hood.
  Loosen the rear hood to hinge bolts, leaving the fronts just snug enough that it won't move. Then, with the hood open about 6 inches at the front, apply pressure with the palm of your hands in the direction you want it to move, pushing near the hinges. A few short pops should have it where you want it . Push a little harder if necessary, things should "flex" enough to get the eighth of an inch you need. These are typical body shop / dealership techniques, hope it helps.
Current Project:
64.5 Black DB Cpe
5F07D1131XX  4/14/64

The stable:
65 Ivy Green Coupe 4SPD
68 Candy Apple Red GT500KR 4SPD FB
70 Grabber Blue Boss 429
86 JalapeƱo Red GT  5SPD
91 Emerald Green Saleen Conv. 5SPD
03 Sonic Blue Cobra Conv.
07 Black GT500 Cp

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 01:48:03 PM »
Thank you all....I am in the test fitting stage....so no paint or primer.  Again thank you for all the help.

Online jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 08:24:11 PM »
The assembly line used a rubber mallet to "fine tune" the hood adjustment to the right or left. Then they tightened the screws. I got this tidbit from a San Jose plant worker.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 01:59:01 PM »
Can you imagine having a time machine and going to the plant of your choice with a video camera????  Then again, if your time machine was designed correctly, you could simply go to a dealership, make a purchase and come back with a concours trailer queen....or would you even come back?   I digress.....back to the rust.