Author Topic: 68 San Jose - Engine Compartment Decals  (Read 4182 times)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
68 San Jose - Engine Compartment Decals
« on: September 01, 2015, 07:45:17 PM »
Note: This topic was split from an earlier one in the Assembly Plant area of this site (San Jose - 64-70) where an assembly picture was shown and the air cleaner base decal was visible.

Im trying to make out if the close-up of the cougars engine is a 390 or small block? The air cleaner lid almost looks like it could be chrome. The snorkle also has the dimples on the side. But that air cleaner decal sure doesnt look like whats being reproduced. I havent seen one with the Autolite star like that. Also notice the sticker to the right of the snorkle. I wonder if that says "Front"? Many have said that this FRONT decal wasnt used on 68's. may have to revisit that. Notice the poor blackout of engine bay black at hood bumper bracket and at top of radiator core support. Looks like red oxide as its to dark to be body color.

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I have a relevant question. First, an observation - from the angle of the breather cap, I would say it's a small block. You've got an S code, so you know how the breather sits nice and vertical on the FEs. The smog check valve would also be visible if it was a big block.

MAC's Auto Parts has reproductions of this style of Autolite decal. (see below) Dennis Carpenter carries them as well. Would this be correct for a February 68 SJ S code air cleaner?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:53:21 PM by J_Speegle »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 68 San Jose - Engine Compartment Decals
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:07:30 PM »
............... Would this be correct for a February 68 SJ S code air cleaner?

IMHO looks good pretty good. Sure its still a vinyl sticker but likely the best choice for an off the shelf item currently
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:53:32 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »
IMHO looks good pretty good. Sure its still a vinyl sticker but likely the best choice for an off the shelf item currently

Thanks Jeff! I'm willing to compromise a bit on the material for the sake of durability. Now, I suppose a guy could run it through a color copier onto whatever paper he wanted...  ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:53:43 PM by J_Speegle »
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 09:35:13 PM »
Thanks Jeff! I'm willing to compromise a bit on the material for the sake of durability. Now, I suppose a guy could run it through a color copier onto whatever paper he wanted...  ;)

If you try that you'll have to figure out how to apply a very thin sheet of clear over the time to be "correct"

But if I was going through that effort I would have to fix the "star" - make the correct fonts and take care of the other short comings with the decal design. :(

Base on a comparison with originals I have scans of. Another 20-30 hours I would guess might make things right.

Close enough reproductions are just what they are.  ::)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:53:52 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 10:36:56 PM »
But if I was going through that effort I would have to fix the "star" - make the correct fonts and take care of the other short comings with the decal design. :(

Base on a comparison with originals I have scans of. Another 20-30 hours I would guess might make things right.

Not that I'm going to go through all that effort, but could you post some scans for reference?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:54:01 PM by J_Speegle »
Dave Z.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 11:21:34 PM »
Not that I'm going to go through all that effort, but could you post some scans for reference?

See the differences? They did a nice job but fell a little short IMHO

Think I'll split the topic off since this has gotten really focused on just the detail (air cleaner decal)

What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:54:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 09:02:43 AM »
See the differences? They did a nice job but fell a little short IMHO

Think I'll split the topic off since this has gotten really focused on just the detail (air cleaner decal)

What do you think?

Jeff, thanks for posting the pic. It's always great to see examples of the real thing. Many of us don't have the opportunity to study such details in person. Especially up here in the rust belt, where the old cars really took a beating. "Survivor" here means it still moves under its own power.  :o

The differences are subtle, but still there if you're looking for them. I think the repro is a pretty good effort, for  3 dollar decal that isn't going to sell in huge quantities. Presents an opportunity for someone to create concours-quality reproductions, with accurate materials, but at a higher price. Would someone restoring a top-dollar Shelby pay $30 for a more accurate decal? Seems possible. I'm satisfied with this repro - for now  ;)

Seems like a good idea to split the topic. I have questions regarding various other air cleaner decals - do you think it would be best to start new topics for each one? (in cases where a thread does not already exist)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:54:18 PM by J_Speegle »
Dave Z.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 02:56:32 PM »
Jeff, thanks for posting the pic. It's always great to see examples of the real thing. Many of us don't have the opportunity to study such details in person. Especially up here in the rust belt, where the old cars really took a beating. "Survivor" here means it still moves under its own power.  :o

Believe that is where this example came from. Out in rust free (well most of the time) we didn't put the cars away like you guys and sometimes just use took it toll on conditions

Seems like a good idea to split the topic. I have questions regarding various other air cleaner decals - do you think it would be best to start new topics for each one? (in cases where a thread does not already exist)

Should be round to grow in this thread with the slightly generic title - if not we'll adjust
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 07:32:41 PM »
Thanks for the split, Jeff. If we accumulate enough information here I think I'd like to write a summary article.

I'll move on to another decal. This one was also obtained from Mac's. According to various postings on CMF, this is the correct style for a '68 S code. Orange & black checkerboard, not black & white. The part number matches what is listed in the '68 chassis assembly manual. In general it seems pretty close to originals I've seen, but more info is always better!

FYI the WhiBal card is used for a color match reference. Not factory equipment on any '60s Fords as far as I know ;)
Dave Z.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 08:13:41 PM »
Just as a suggestion why not add a link to the other discussion of the air cleaner CU decal.  Maybe a merge at some point might make sense
Jeff Speegle

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2015, 08:32:08 PM »
Links to related discussions. In keeping with the topic, I'm including all appropriate references I find for 68 + San Jose + engine compartment.

Topic: Dec 67 San Jose - 1968 Mustang S-Code: Correct Decals, Placement, and Sources
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=9514.0

Topic: 68 San Jose - Near Final Assembly - 10559-4 First in Series
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=3956.0

Topic: Everyone with a 68 289 engine !
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=11303.0

Topic: 68.5 air cleaner more
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5353.0

Topic: 67 San Jose Fastback - Oct 22 Decal Questions [main topic is for '67 but Jeff confirms "BATTERY OK" decal info applies to '68 as well]
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6958.0

Topic: 68 SJ - Shock tower sticker on apron?
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=6156.0

Please let me know if I overlooked any, and I will update the list accordingly.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:55:45 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2015, 10:04:38 PM »
Autolite spark plug decal. At least three different styles listed for 1968 (inconsistently) by various merchants.

• Straight, with red lettering
  • Arc, with black lettering
  • Arc, with purple lettering

Are ANY of them applicable to '68 SJ, and if so which one goes with which engine? If applicable, what was the typical placement?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:27:13 PM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »
OK, I picked up a different air cleaner decal to add to the discussion. It's similar to the first one, but adds the air cleaner part number and replacement filter part number.

There are a few lines of discussion on this one:

1) Is this decal accurate in and of itself? The air cleaner part number if C8OF-B, which is the '68 S code GT air cleaner with round vacuum motor and chrome lid. See the '75 MPC listings. However, the same MPC lists FA-50 as the replacement filter, and the decal is showing FA-74. The MPC shows FA-74 for an entirely different application. I believe the decal is erroneous.

Update: I forgot to mention that I measured an air filter (aftermarket) that I have in my C8OF-B air cleaner. It measures 2.8 inches tall and fits properly - the lid is sealing on the top of the filter (the snorkel is off so I can see it making contact) and the lid gasket is sealed on the edge of the base. The height of this filter matches what's listed in the MPC for an FA-50.

2) Was this style of decal (with different part numbers) used on '68 SJ engines?

3) If so, what was the usage compared with the generic Autolite decal? In other words, were they used at different points in the model year, would they both have been applied to a single air cleaner, etc.?

For reference, Dudley posted a photo of what appears to be an original decal of a similar design from his SJ 289 in this thread:
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=4715.0
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:01:45 AM by WT8095 »
Dave Z.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 01:38:14 AM »
Catching up on my return. Will  read fully and respond more once caught up

In general

- its not unusual for Ford to change the air filter used during the year

- believe the air clear base decal with the part number for the filter was a running change during production

- no the one with the filter number and the one without likely never were applied to the same base. No reason for that.

- of course air cleaner is shown on buildsheets to confirm what was being used at that particular period of time

- were the air cleaner base decal with the filter number ever used during 68 production. Most certainly

Jeff Speegle