Author Topic: Front Suspension  (Read 3727 times)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
Front Suspension
« on: July 24, 2015, 01:31:18 PM »
I'm starting to get a list together for the parts I need to order. What is concours correct for the front suspension, the solid black A Arms or the silver and black A Arms? I provided pics below that I pulled off the internet, theses are just examples of finishes.

Thanks for your help,
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline 67gta289

Re: Front Suspension
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 01:35:10 PM »
I think you will have some trouble trying to procure new something that is concours correct.  Many of us find and rebuild clean old salvaged stock.  I'm always on the look out for clean old parts for this purpose.

But if you go new, the upper arms should be bare steel, no paint.  The lower arms are dipped black, but only part way.  There is no black near or over the lower ball joint itself.

If you search you should find some good information and pictures on what your target is.

Looking at the pictures, the cougar site one looks like a three rivet unit, which is not correct.  The Scott Drake unit looks right - four rivets.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 01:37:37 PM by 67gta289 »
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 02:51:54 PM »
As always it depends on how correct you want things

For example the top example you posted has the wrong rivets and is painted wrong for your application. Its even painted incorrectly for a 65-66 :(

Lower one is a later replacement version that IMHO should not even be considered

As 67gta289 mentioned use the search and you should find others that have gone through this before and examples of original and correctly restored examples.

If after that your still stumped lets talk about ti more to make things clear
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 06:29:02 PM »
Jeff,
   I believe I read on the Concours Driven Class, you were able to use reproduction parts without loosing any points. As long as the parts were a match to the originals.

Is that correct?
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 07:12:23 PM »
Jeff,
   I believe I read on the Concours Driven Class, you were able to use reproduction parts without loosing any points. As long as the parts were a match to the originals.

Is that correct?
That is the problem many times . The reproduction parts do not match the originals. 3 rivets vs 4, painted 1/2 black when it was unpainted originally, ball joint studs too short requiring shorter nuts when compared to OEM etc.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 07:26:40 PM »
It's good that you're asking these questions now as it usually becomes a painful and costly issue later when owner's find out after their first real concours judging that all those parts they thought were "correct" are nowhere near.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 10:38:57 AM »
Yes, Concours driven you can certainly use reproduction parts, but when it comes to suspension parts nobody makes any accurate reproductions fo any of the pieces.....not just control arms.  For other areas on the car there is plenty of decent reproductions.  I think you just picked the one area where it makes a big difference if you have originals or reproductions.  Its how you separate a good car, from a really good car today.
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 07:15:09 PM »
Does anyone know of a place that rebuilds all the original front suspension? I have two 1967's, I can use everything off of the other car.

Thanks
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 07:43:20 PM »
5F09C331248

Offline 70 Yellow B2

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 08:01:16 PM »
David is doing mine and does fantastic work. You will no be disappointed!😃

1970 BOSS 302 - Yellow on White
0F02G150833

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 08:38:52 PM »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 08:55:23 PM »
Jeff,

Is that correct?

As others have mentioned but to clarify any car entered in Concours (MCA Driven or Trailered ) can use reproduction parts. The challenge is that if you can tell they are reproduction you may get a mention (note) or a deduction depending on how good of a reproduction they are - how much it stands out to the judge.

The three rivet is better than nothing but plan only loosing almost all of the value of them if they are installed on a show car. Setting up a car to show in Driven IMHO only allows for a couple of areas where the judges can allow for replacement parts like tires for example. The standards for each award is slightly lower but wear and tear sort of things are typically not overlooked since those have been built into the lower point standards for each award.

Would not surprise me if that class went away in the long run - MCA is one of the few clubs that has a class such as these.
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 10:44:24 PM »
Does anyone know of a place that rebuilds all the original front suspension? ........

Believe Marcus (azscj) does them also. Just got a couple of pictures from a builder of some 67 stuff he did
Jeff Speegle

Offline Anghelrestorations

• Anghel Restorations
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 01:18:11 AM »
Yep, I do them as well.  Finished the entire suspension on that 67 Shelby last week including all the powers steering parts tie rods idler arm and everything else.  Finishing up 71 Boss 351 suspension this weekend.

And I agree....David is a good resource and good guy to deal with. 
Marcus Anghel
MCA National Gold Card Judge, 69-71 Mustang
SAAC National Head Judge, Boss Mustangs

www.anghelrestorations.com
www.facebook.com/anghelrestorations
www.instagram.com/anghelrestorations