Author Topic: Spark Plug Wire Separators  (Read 4616 times)

Offline ruppstang

Re: Spark Plug Wire Separators
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 08:30:58 PM »
"Odd that it appears to be a one year/one engine type only thing (for Mustang) "

I have found them on Fairlane's, Galaxy's and Mustangs 67 and 68. I think at the start of this thread Richard P. said he found them on a 67 BB Tbird.
Marty

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 11:05:04 PM »
"Odd that it appears to be a one year/one engine type only thing (for Mustang) "

I have found them on Fairlane's, Galaxy's and Mustangs 67 and 68. I think at the start of this thread Richard P. said he found them on a 67 BB Tbird.
Marty

Just thought keeping the focus on the small block might be helpful in the long run. Yes saw the one T bird observation
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 09:29:48 AM »
My J code May-68' SJ built coupe had a white one on the passenger side, black on the drivers side.  Found a white one on a 68' 390 Fairlane in a wrecking yard, on passenger side.  Unknow build date or plant.  I assume the engines were built at different plants, or were the SB and BB engines made at same plant?   Looking at the "Close up of engine" photo in the "engine installation" thread in the San Jose assembly plant section it is hard to tell what color the separator is as the flash produced a glare in that area.  it appears lighter color, but so do the wires.  Mike
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 09:43:57 AM by somethingspecial »
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2015, 09:54:08 AM »
My J code May-68' SJ built coupe had a white one on the passenger side, black on the drivers side.  Found a white one on a 68' 390 Fairlane in a wrecking yard, on passenger side.  Unknow build date or plant.  I assume the engines were built at different plants, or were the SB and BB engines made at same plant?   Looking at the "Close up of engine" photo in the "engine installation" thread in the San Jose assembly plant section it is hard to tell what color the separator is as the flash produced a glare in that area.  it appears lighter color, but so do the wires.  Mike
The FE engines were built at the Rouge plant facility and the smallblock at the Cleveland plant.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline Hipo giddyup

• There is no end to doing right. Giddyup!!!
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 10:48:48 AM »
I have ran across a coupe of these "white" separators in the parts bins in my dad's old garage (he was the chief mechanic for our Mustangs and storage for all of the swap meet parts/lots we picked up to keep our cars on the road,etc..  ). I think I tossed them due to these not looking "correct" for our stangs   ??? ???? Now I am regretting it!!!!   :o  :-[
1967 Springtime Yellow Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Metuchen built, Nov. 17th 66'
1966 Sahara Beige Coupe, 289 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, July 21st 66'
1964 1/2 Pagoda Green Coupe, 260 2v 3spd, Dearborn built, June 30th 64'
1966 GT350 Fastback clone, 289 HiPo, 725cfm Holley, 4spd, SanJose built, Nov 25th 65'

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 07:44:32 PM »
..............I assume the engines were built at different plants, or were the SB and BB engines made at same plant?   .............

Found two references about 67-68 small block production. Bob M's Small block V8 book states "between 1966 and the end of 1967 production , Cleveland shared 289 production with Windsor, Ontario engine plant. In 1968, Cleveland  switched to 302 V8 production, exclusively. The Windsor engine plant continued 289 production."

If members take this up as a long term project it appears that documenting the information from the engine tag might be really important since the code would indicate which plant assembled the engine and this might produce a unidentifiable pattern
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)