Author Topic: June 67 - Brake line question  (Read 2293 times)

Offline V8_bloke_28

June 67 - Brake line question
« on: July 10, 2015, 05:18:07 AM »
Hi.
I have a 67 fastback gt 390 San Jose with a brake line question.
The brake line that comes from the front to back then meets a connector that turns into a hose, I have a little right angle peice of line with a fitting on each end. I'm just wondering if this is standard or been added. Hard to explain.
Cheers
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 06:05:10 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
Re: Brake line
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 05:57:29 AM »
Hi.
I have a 67 fastback gt 390 San Jose with a brake line question.
The brake line that comes from the front to back then meets a connector that turns into a hose, I have a little right angle peice of line with a fitting on each end. I'm just wondering if this is standard or been added. Hard to explain.
Cheers

You are describing the factory disc brake elbow line between the residual valve and the rear brake hose. A line as you have described would be standard on the disc brake option. On later production disc brake optioned Mustangs, you would find the residual valve up front. I am speaking of LH drive cars, US sold Mustangs (since you are Down Under) so I cannot consider how any conversion to RH drive could be different.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline V8_bloke_28

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 09:15:30 AM »
Car is still left hand drive.
Cheers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 04:51:14 PM »
Guess it would help knowing when the car was built ;) Since 67 production year is so full of running changes
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline V8_bloke_28

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 11:17:55 PM »
Car was produced on 26 June 67

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: June 67 - Brake line question
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 06:21:57 PM »
As mentioned in Reply #2 - does it look like this short section of brake line and fittings?

Jeff Speegle

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 07:05:01 PM »
The reason for the change had to do with the master cylinder fault light used with power disc brakes. The later builds plumbing routed the rear brake fluid thru the fault switch and proportioning valve before it went to the rear axle. This system was continued from 68 on. There are other discussions on this forum about the lines.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline V8_bloke_28

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015, 07:00:06 AM »
That's awesome guys. I couldn't find a pic anywhere of that.
Is it possible to find that little elbow for sale?
What would it be called?
Cheers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2015, 05:04:10 PM »
That's awesome guys. I couldn't find a pic anywhere of that.
Is it possible to find that little elbow for sale?

Don't know if its reproduced. Just a thought - release yourself from always thinking first about ordering something out of a catalog. Most/many parts places can make you a fuel or brake line - in this case with the overall length and the fitting size they can make one up.  But for 100% concours the challenge will be to find steel fittings in dichromate. But if you find steel ones finished in zinc you can daub a little clear gold over to try and dupilcate

Just a thought

BTW the one in the picture was a made up one - need to contact the shop and have them switch it out since they made it up with brass fittings :(    But at least it shows the location - basic shape.
Jeff Speegle