Author Topic: Fighting Door Glass to Quarter Glass Alignment on '67 Coupe  (Read 8095 times)

Offline drummingrocks

Hi guys, I'm fighting a weird issue on my '67 coupe, and I'm literally out of ideas.  When I bought this car, the driver's side door window was aligned horribly.  It rolled up and down fine, but the back of the glass stuck out noticeably compared to the quarter glass when the door was shut.

I'm trying to get the issue corrected before we take this car to Myrtle Beach for Mustang week next week.  I've recently had the vent window assembly out, and, since it had a really bad wind leak where the vent window frame sealed to the a-pillar weatherstrip, I figured the vent window assembly adjustment was what was throwing the rest of the window alignment off.  While I had the door panel off, I noticed the driver's side vent window assembly had been replaced, and I figured whoever did the replacement didn't take the time to line things up properly.

I thought it would be fairly straightforward to slide the whole vent window assembly forward towards the front of the car, which would then allow the door glass to come forward as well.  So far, that hasn't happened.  I've got the vent window assembly moved up as far against the roof weatherstrip as it will possibly go, but I still don't have enough movement in the door glass to keep it from contacting the quarter window as the door closes.

Here's what I'm dealing with.

Picture 1:
I could sort of see where the door glass had ridden up and down in the front track over the years, and I used that as a baseline of how much the window needs to come forward.  I took tape and and ran a length up the window, avoiding the areas that had obvious wear from riding in the track.  I figured that would give me a basic measurement of how far the window was off.  As you can see, it needs to come forward a good bit just to get back to where it was at the factory (Getting the edge of the tape back in the division bar would get me pretty close to factory alignment).

Picture 2: a closer shot of how far forward the glass needs to come:

Picture 3: a picture of the problem from the outside.  In this picture, it looks like the window needs to tilt upward.  The problem is, I'm against the roof weatherstrip already with the vent window frame; I can't tilt it any more to get any adjustment.  The door has a tiny amount of sag, but nothing enough to cause this kind of problem.  The quarter window is absolutely as far back as it will go against the roofline.

Picture 4: if I forcefully pick up on the door as hard as I can, I can get it to close, as seen here.  But even like this, the door glass is all over the quarter glass.  It just barely fits.

Picture 5: a picture of the passenger's side for comparison.  Even though this side has been in an accident in the past, it still lines up fine.  Since the driver's side is accident free, I can't figure out how the alignment is that far off.

This is with accident-free panels (as far as I can tell, at least looking inside the quarter and door), and all of the panels and the glass are original to the car.  The vent window frame has been replaced, but while I had everything apart, I verified with the part number that it is a correct '67 frame.  Thanks for any help!!!
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline TLea

• Global Moderator
Re: Fighting Door Glass to Quarter Glass Alignment on '67 Coupe
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 07:36:16 AM »
Part of the way of getting back of glass to come up more is making sure stops are adjusted properly. Front stop should be adjusted first then back of window can still travel after it hits
Tim Lea  Shelby concours judge MCA, SAAC, Mid America

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 08:11:18 AM »
My understanding:
FIRST: Make sure all Glass is O.E. glass.  and the vent frame is also O.E.. If not, you might consider replacing it (them).

1.) Fit the door correctly, being sure it is correct in all gaps.
2.) fit the front glass and vent glass together till correct.
3.) adjust the quarter glass till correct.

I think you problem was dual. The vent glass was off and the quarter glass is still off. It's all a pain to get all of these correct at the same time. When you see ALL of the various things that could be adjusted for these three windows, you can see how easily it could be messed up and how difficult it would be to start from scratch to begin a full adjustment process.

I suggest you start from scratch with all three windows if the door skin already is lined up right. Pull the back seat and quarter trim. It too has multiple adjustments on it
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:15:24 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 08:35:50 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions!  The doors and quarters are original to the car, as is all of the glass.  The vent window frame has been replaced, but it too is an OEM assembly line part.

I was thinking about this last night, hoping to come up with some idea or adjustment that I had missed.  The door is lined up reasonably well, in fact, the driver's door is lined up better than the passenger's side (and the passenger's side glass fits fine--go figure!   ;D).  The driver's side door might be off by a little, but my gaps and body lines are close enough that it shouldn't be causing such a massive alignment problem with the window. 

I don't see how the quarter window can go back any further.  I literally have it as far back against the roofrail weatherstrip as it can safely go.

It still seems like the door glass needs to move forward towards the vent window assembly.  Not only would it fit better in the front vent window track, it seems like it would solve most of the issue I'm dealing with.  I'll admit I've been into many more '65-66 window/regulator assemblies than I have '67-68.  I'm pretty familiar with window adjustment on the earlier cars, but it's like I'm missing some obvious adjustment on this '67.
Too much junk, too little time.

Online ruppstang

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 08:46:24 AM »
By limiting the height of the quarter window and moving it back should give you some room.
Marty

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:00:17 AM »
By limiting the height of the quarter window and moving it back should give you some room.
Marty

+1

The quarter window can also rotate a degree or two to even things out. The roof rail weatherstrip (when new anyways) will take up the air leaks. If the glass has been misaligned for a long time, quite possible an old weatherstrip will not seal goodbut at least it would all be aligned it you needed to replace it for leaking.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments