Author Topic: 67 Autolite Rear Shocks  (Read 1474 times)

Offline dmg67

67 Autolite Rear Shocks
« on: March 29, 2019, 05:42:29 AM »
Hi All, Could someone tell me if these Autolite shockers are original or reproductions? Also, what are they worth a pair, they're brand new, thanks in advance.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: 67 Autolite Rear Shocks
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 06:41:30 PM »
Hi All, Could someone tell me if these Autolite shockers are original or reproductions? Also, what are they worth a pair, they're brand new, thanks in advance.
They do bear further scrutiny because the letters and numbers look a little off for regular Mustang shocks . Shelby shocks are definitely different. With that said all of the regular Mustang shocks I have for comparison happen to be made in Canada versions it would not be surprising that made in Canada shocks and made in US may be different . It might just be that I am just used to seeing the made in Canada versions which are different looking. I think confirmation is a good idea whether my initial impression is correct or not.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 07:41:27 PM »
Made in USA shocks were typically installed at the San Jose plant and differ from Made in Canada in the thread type (fine verse course) and that USA were stamped at the top of the outer tube while Canada were stamped at the bottom

Of course the hardware you show are from newer sources but the marking is your focus it seems.

For that I'll post this one example (C8 Made in USA example) and will post a couple of more to follow. Once I get them ready

Hope this help

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline dmg67

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 10:30:46 PM »
Thanks Guys. Bob, you mentioned that Shelby shocks are different to Mustang shocks, could you tell me the differences, please?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 10:35:40 PM »
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=18670.msg121270#msg121270

Search is your friend ;)

They are adjustable ( three settings) and are marked differently and have different visual clues. Upper washer on front shocks and outer tube differences to name two.

Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 12:19:28 AM »
Thanks Guys. Bob, you mentioned that Shelby shocks are different to Mustang shocks, could you tell me the differences, please?
I thought the Shelby shock aspect might perk your curiosity. Yes the Shelby shocks are completely different functionally and physically. Besides the things Jeff mentioned and to elaborate further on how they look different . All of the markings/stampings are different plus the shape of the rear shock is different compared to a regular Mustang shock . Most visibly on the upper half which has a dramatically different contour from a regular/typical Mustang shock. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline dmg67

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 03:32:41 AM »
Thanks Guys for the valuable information, appreciated.

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 02:08:32 PM »
One thing that strikes me about the OP's shocks are the black and white straps.
Gas shocks use these straps to keep the shocks collapsed during shipping.

Not sure if that's what they are without the OP actually holding them.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 05:08:32 PM »
One thing that strikes me about the OP's shocks are the black and white straps.
Gas shocks use these straps to keep the shocks collapsed during shipping.

Could not figure out what the white item was (would be on the end studs to hold in a gas charged replacement) but the left one looked like it was bailing wire

Just me ;)
Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 05:15:38 PM »
Additional pictures I promised for comparison

First thing that pops out is the possible differences between the first set posted and the following ones is the spacing in the U. S. A. and in other letters especially in that line of letters

Could just be me
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 05:18:07 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 08:48:52 PM »
Additional pictures I promised for comparison

First thing that pops out is the possible differences between the first set posted and the following ones is the spacing in the U. S. A. and in other letters especially in that line of letters

Could just be me
+1 . I agree that the spacing is off on the U.S.A. when compared to OP picture and Jeff's examples.

Offline RoyceP

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2019, 07:53:57 PM »
The top of the shocks in the first post shows a roll crimp. Totally different manufacturing process than was used on originals. I think they are modern gas shocks that were engraved nicely to replicate the markings on an original pair. Maybe some of the reproduction ones made in the 1990's? I think they would have fair value for someone who drives their car but wants something authentic looking to many.
1968 W code 427 Cougar XR-7 GTE Feb 23 Dearborn C6 / 3.50 open
1968 R code 428CJ Cougar XR-7 May 13 Dearborn C6 / 3.91 T - Lock

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2019, 08:41:20 PM »
The top of the shocks in the first post shows a roll crimp. Totally different manufacturing process than was used on originals. ....

Think your referring to where the top most part of the shock body meets the upper outer tube with the stamping on.

The roll or visible edge of the top most part of the shock would be there on 67 (and 66) adjustable Gabriels used on Shelby, competition suspension and export Mustangs as well as some versions of the 65-66 Mustang shocks. Don't have many top shots of 67 regular Mustangs to check those well
Jeff Speegle