Author Topic: 67 NJ Sound Deadener Question  (Read 2140 times)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
67 NJ Sound Deadener Question
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »
I have searched for "Sound Deadner" and "Sound Deadener" and found a lot of good information.  However, I still have a question.  My 67 NJ fastback has sound deadener in the usual places: rear wheel wells before paint, front wheel wells after paint, and a few places on the firewall after engine compartment paint.  There is an extra shot of sound deadener on the outer driver's side cowl panel in the shape of a backwards question mark - see picture.  I am trying to figure out when this was done.  This sound deadener was sprayed after the Dark Moss Green and before the front fender was installed.  From the information that I have learned from my searches on this site, there were two times sound deadener was applied - before exterior paint at the rear of the car, and just before the front wheels were installed in the front wheel wells.  When would you think my outer cowel would have been sprayed with the sound deadener?  Also, do you know when the firewall deadener was applied - before fender install or after?

Thanks for unraveling the mystery!
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Fastback2013

Re: 67 NJ Sound Deadener Question
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 02:25:16 PM »
I don't know if you saw this topic ??
http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=5304.0
-> it handles just the sound deadener at the firewall...

Kind regards,
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 05:57:21 PM »
That spray was a sealant applied later in the assembly - likely at the same time the firewall was done. Applied over body color.

This "firewall" sealant step sometimes gets confused with the sound deadener applications

This sealed the wire retaining clips installed from the inside of the car from water getting in. At least that was the plan.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 01:30:10 PM »
Thank you.
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Building 3

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 08:47:15 PM »
This entry is very interesting to me since we are close to applying the firewall sealer prior to the engine going in. My question is: What product is the best to use for the firewall sealant?  would Ford have used a different product than the sound deadener that was used in the wheel wells and trunk? What product on the market today best approaches the look of the original firewall sealant? In searching through the entries on this site I have found that people have used Lord Fusor 805 the most, and there was one mention of 3M Firm & Fast. Thank You
1966 289 C code auto convertible December 1965 scheduled build at Dearborn.

1966 289 C code auto convertible
October 1965 scheduled build at Metuchen.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 10:41:52 PM »
............ My question is: What product is the best to use for the firewall sealant?  would Ford have used a different product than the sound deadener that was used in the wheel wells and trunk? What product on the market today best approaches the look of the original firewall sealant?

Product look is different depending on plant and year.

In searching through the entries on this site I have found that people have used Lord Fusor 805 the most, and there was one mention of 3M Firm & Fast.

Could see Lord Fusor for some applications - don't think Firm & Fast (never tried to spray it) would be a good choice

Seeing that your asking about a 66 Dearborn car and comparing what that year and plant was using to the 67 NJ applications discussed in this thread it appears that a similar product was used and like most things was applied with a light hand sometimes while other times with a much heavier hand.  IF you would like some original examples feel free to start a new thread over in the 65-66 section and I'll post some.

Looks like the sound deadener/under coating products that dry black and semi-hard will be what your looking for Lord Fusion to rattle can undercoat should work - 50% of the effort is technique and getting whatever product you choose to look right when done.
Jeff Speegle

Offline brennancarey

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 05:23:26 AM »
Hi, old post I know but what would be under the Dark Moss Green paint  referenced in the pictures ? 
67 GTA 390 Fastback
Dark Moss Green
Dearborn
Build Date 12/28/66

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 05:37:40 AM »
Hi, old post I know but what would be under the Dark Moss Green paint  referenced in the pictures ?

Black brushable sealer. Same material as applied to the seams at the rear of the front frame rail and over the seam in the rear wheel well.
Jeff Speegle