Author Topic: 1970 M Code Carburetor ID Help  (Read 2149 times)

Offline D0ZZ70MACH

• 1970 Mach 1 Dearborn 11/10/1969
1970 M Code Carburetor ID Help
« on: April 16, 2015, 10:36:39 PM »
Please help!! 

Can anyone tell me the correct carburetor for a Dearborn built (11/10/'69) '70 Mustang with 351C 4V, 4 speed and A/C?  From everything I've read, it should be D0Of-G but I've been looking for a long time and cannot locate one.  Am I looking for the correct carb?

Thanks!!!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1970 M Code Carburetor ID Help
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 11:57:04 PM »
Please help!! 

Can anyone tell me the correct carburetor for a Dearborn built (11/10/'69) '70 Mustang with 351C 4V, 4 speed and A/C?  From everything I've read, it should be D0Of-G but I've been looking for a long time and cannot locate one.  Am I looking for the correct carb?

My reference shows D0OF-Z, AB

Its interesting that with AC for auto trans shows a different (that they list like above) number
For the manual there is no "different" number for AC applications

Don't think I've got a later reference other than the 72 and 75 MPC but wouldn't trust those
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 02:21:04 AM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 01:45:24 AM »
The Ford Carburetor Guide 4th ed (Pony Carbs) indicates a D0OF-AB for a 351C 4V MT. Ford Car Parts (1975 ed) "implies" that this carb has a thermostatic choke, a de-choke lever and a fast idle cam by the spring callout (but lists a D0OF-Z and not the D0OF-AB), the D0OF-G seems to use a manual choke, no thermostatic requirements and a different body (as if it does not have a thermostatic choke but a manual type).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 02:22:59 AM »
The Ford Carburetor Guide 4th ed (Pony Carbs) indicates a D0OF-AB for a 351C 4V MT. ........

Mine (corrected came from the 2nd edition.

Carb would have had an automatic choke originally  - rod that connected to a spring mounted in a pocket of the intake manifold on the passenger side if I recall correctly
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 70cj428

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 07:10:24 PM »
All the 4300 D0OF carbs have an automatic, hot air choke. I have 5 or 6  of the AB (4 speed) and AC (Auto) carbs, the difference is that the AC carbs have the kickdown rod linkage and a dashpot, and the AB carbs have a carb solenoid, and no kickdown lever. I've seen several AD carbs (auto, AC) but have yet to find one dated right for my car that wasn't outrageously expensive.  :(  . I've been hoarding parts since the 1980's, and have seen a ton of these carbs over the years, I've never seen one with any of the other suffix's mentioned in the MPC (C,D,H,Y,or Z).  I always thought the AA carb was the 4 speed AC carb and the MPC was a typo as I don't think they ever made a 4V Cleveland Mustang or Torino with a C4, but I've never found a AA carb to confirm my suspicions .

Look in the 70 shop manual for the carb spec's and there should be some hints on how the carbs are configured, I just don't have my manuals handy.

Hope this helps, John

Offline D0ZZ70MACH

• 1970 Mach 1 Dearborn 11/10/1969
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 09:51:48 PM »
Gentlemen,

Thank you for all of your help.  I realize that the manuals should not be taken as gospel and I've had issues identifying other parts over the years but this carb has to be the worst.  All of the conflicting information in print.  What is a guy to do?  Well, ask the experts I guess. 

John,

I have one of the AD carbs but not the AB that I need.  If you ever feel like parting with one of your AB's, please keep me in mind.

Thanks again!!

Aaron