Author Topic: slop gray color ?  (Read 3877 times)

Offline cjmustangman

slop gray color ?
« on: April 18, 2010, 02:12:34 PM »
I'm about to paint the shock tower braces, hood latch support, outer shock towers and frt bumper brackets  slop gray, I have slop gray paint matched to the paint that was on the outer shock towers and it is almost a charcoal color almost black versus the lighter gray that is commonly seen on other 69/70 carss, is there a correct color ? Or does it soley depend on what was mixed the day it was painted ? This is a 69 Shelby conv built mar 69 at Dearborn.
Thanks
Arild

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: slop gray color ?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 03:51:32 PM »
I'm about to paint the shock tower braces, hood latch support, outer shock towers and frt bumper brackets  slop gray, I have slop gray paint matched to the paint that was on the outer shock towers and it is almost a charcoal color almost black versus the lighter gray that is commonly seen on other 69/70 carss, is there a correct color ? Or does it soley depend on what was mixed the day it was painted ? This is a 69 Shelby conv built mar 69 at Dearborn.
Thanks
Arild
The front Shelby bumper brackets are black not slop gray. Also add the battery tray to the slop gray list as well as the thin steel channel brackets that support the edge of the fiberglass fender to the bumper bracket. The slop gray came in a variety of shades. The shade you matched on the back side of the shock towers may represent what was sprayed on the unibody but may not be the same as what they painted the other parts with. If you wanted to paint them the same it would be OK and if you wanted to paint the other pieces a different shade that would be OK too IMHO. I hope this helps. Bob
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 03:53:05 PM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: slop gray color ?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »
Its very nice to see a varied group of different tones and tints IMHO since the parts were doe at different places and times (though passenger and drivers sides of two items could have been done the same day and place) Completely agree that its typically a darker tone - never seen a light slop gray on an original car

Not too hard to take your base gray and add a little to each gun pot each time you shoot a couple of pieces,

Also remember to add to your list the underbody convertible brace/plate it was slop gray also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)