Author Topic: 1967 GTA 390 w/Thermactor - What to paint and what not to  (Read 3775 times)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
1967 GTA 390 w/Thermactor - What to paint and what not to
« on: March 14, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »
Thanks for looking,
   I have a 1967 Mustang GTA fastback S code Dec 1966 build date San jose plant. I getting ready to paint the motor PPG enamel. I looked at the judging sheet and know what to paint but what it doesn't state is if the bolts are supposed to be painted (Oil pan bolt, timing chain cover bolts, water neck bolts, and intake manifold bolts)?
Also, are the freeze plugs supposed to be also painted?

Thanks for your time in helping me out!!!
Travis
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:24:27 PM by J_Speegle »
Travis Waters

Mine -
1967 Mustang GTA S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Dec. 13, 1966 (Thermactor)

Daddy / Daughter Project -
1967 Mustang S Code, Fastback, San Jose, Built Sept. 9, 1966

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 1967 GTA 390 w/Thermactor - What to paint and what not to
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 04:48:27 PM »
Thermactor or non-Thermactor engine/car ?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:24:35 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 04:56:47 PM »
OOOPS!!!!

It has a Thermactor on the engine.

Man that was a pain to piece together!

Travis
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:24:45 PM by J_Speegle »
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 05:17:58 PM »
Likely easier to describe how Ford did it rather than list each nut or bolt individually. Hopefully we'll get everything - if not sure someone else will point out what I skipped over so you can get it right.

1- On a 67 390 you would have an assembled long block. Block, crank, cam .. all the internals plus the heads all bolted together so all those bolts are installed

2- Then the oil pan (with plug), timing cover, water pump, intake, thermostat housing, front & rear intake vacuum fitting (not the block that attaches to the rear fitting), the vacuum balance tube - hose and clamps- between the two fittings. The PCV hose, 90 degree elbow and PCV valve all attached. This would include all the mounting bolts and hardware for these items - gaskets too ;) Don't know if a pair of  painted style valve covers were placed over the valve train for painting - no evidence I've seen points to proof so far but really doesn't matter allot for this application.

3- For Thermactor cars the injector tubes to each head and check valves on each were in place when the engine was painted. Check valves has a mask on the nipple where the rubber hose would attach later

4- Masks were installed over the fuel pump attachment point/flange. The water necks Also. Can't recall if the face where the oil filter adapter would be attached is masked off to keep paint off the mating surface but that would follow the logic of that other surfaces.

5- I think the exhaust manifold debate on the big block FE's adds a twist since I think it's still being debated in some circles. Hopefully some of the 67-68 judges will offer what the current MCA expectation is. If you're going to shot the engine with them on the top , front and rear surfaces will get some pretty good color and we expect it to discolor and turn color as it would have originally done if there.
I would consider first coating the block and heads behind the manifolds before I bolted them on to reduce the chance of rusting back there. I just used some cast blast on the last engine I did to at least try and reduce the possibility not sure how well it will hold up and its pretty dry around here.

6- So at that point everything gets a nice coat of paint (lots of corners and hard to reach spots so check it a number of times for shadows and bare spots. The hose that goes out to the fitting and PCV normally is painted part way down the hose with the overspray fading away after approx the mid point. Have seen overspray out to and onto the fitting and the top of the PCV on original 67 390's in Mustangs over the years.

++++++++++++++++++++++
Once you get further we can discuss the valve cover gaskets and the "staples" unless you've already got that detail covered ;)
And yes putting a Thermactor system from pieces can be a big challenge especially considering the multiple different changes through 1967 production. The one I love trying to find is the odd little washer that goes behind the adjustment bolt on the pump that has the little "ears". Is yours a shock tower mounted filter can?

Hopefully I didn't miss much - going from memory
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:25:20 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
Re: What to paint and what not to paint on a 1967 GTA 390 motor
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 05:31:11 PM »
Thank you, that's very helpful!!

My smog intake canister mounts to the shock tower. I'm so glad he had the hose for the canister!! I located all the hoses, some are a little rough with cracks in the joints, its a starting point. Also from what I'm finding out that I got lucky on finding the correct driver side injector tube, the bend starts after the last injector.

Now what are you talking about, what is the odd little washer that goes behind the adjustment bolt on the pump that has the little "ears"? Do you have a photo of it?

Thanks again,
Travis
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:36:50 PM by travnemi »
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: What to paint and what not to paint on a 1967 GTA 390 motor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 05:39:47 PM »
Now what are you talking about, what is the odd little washer that goes behind the adjustment bolt on the pump that has the little "ears"? Do you have a photo of it?

will see if I do - or I will have to get into my boxes, find one and take a picture.

Will either email it to you or start another thread so we don't get off thread ;) 
Jeff Speegle

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 06:09:15 PM »
Thanks again,
Travis
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 06:48:05 PM »
The one I love trying to find is the odd little washer that goes behind the adjustment bolt on the pump that has the little "ears".
Take a look at AMK B-13080 (380626-S8, page 185 in the 2014 paper catalog).
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »
Jeff,
  So the hose and clamps between the water pump and block were painted?

Thanks
Travis Waters

Mine -

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 10:46:47 PM »
Jeff,
  So the hose and clamps between the water pump and block were painted?

Figured I would miss something and something simple

Yes the bypass hose and clamps just like the small block. And Bob G here reminded me that the rear cast Thermactor pump mount and attaching bolts were in place also.

Jeff Speegle

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 12:21:54 AM »
Here is a picture of the washer  - TAKE NOTE _ BOLT IS INSERTED THE WRONG WAY!!! The head of the bolt should be at the "washer"

And drawing. Didn't have one out or handy. Odd shape with two little index "ears". Highlighted in red

Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 07:16:16 AM »
Take a look at AMK B-13080 (380626-S8, page 185 in the 2014 paper catalog).
Jim

Part of kit AMK F-1762 for the 390/428 engines
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline travnemi

• Travis Waters
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 12:44:03 AM »
Thanks Jeff
Travis Waters

Mine -