Author Topic: Kick Panel Advice Needed  (Read 2680 times)

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
Kick Panel Advice Needed
« on: February 11, 2015, 08:37:40 PM »
I need some advice—I’m struggling with what kick panels to install in my car.  I have the Scott Drake improved repros that I had to paint red—not totally satisfied with the results.  I'm afraid that any future scuffs will be difficult to repaint.  I also have a set of original factory kick panels that have cracks where they fit over the windlace. 

The question is- what is the better choice to use.  The originals won’t fit over the factory windlace—that is what caused the cracks in the first place.  I could trim the original windlace where it goes under the top part of the kick panel so that it will butt up instead of over lapping likes it's supposed to.  Or, I could just leave the cracks as they are and install the panels as they were, although that won't look too nice.

Do I use the painted repros or the cracked originals?  I'm leaning toward the originals because they are assembly line parts---any thoughts or comments are appreciated.  I need some input!  :-\
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

"A work of art in the form of a Mustang"

Offline C5ZZ

Re: Kick Panel Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:40:01 PM »
Gary, thats a tough one, if the cracks are not too visable I think I would go with the
originals, your lucky to have them!
I have had the same problem with mine, 65 red interior as well, I went with a pair of
repros that were closer in color for now until I can find something better, I would
rather not use a painted pair for the reasons you mentioned.
MCA # 00945

65 Fastback, 6 cyl, AT, AC, PS, PB
Rangoon Red/Red Interior

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 02:50:52 AM »
Do I use the painted repros or the cracked originals?  I'm leaning toward the originals because they are assembly line parts...
Yeah definately go with the originals, the less reproductions parts the better I say...

I'm going to have the same problem but I have a rather large crack either side of where it screws in (so a bit more visible)... was going to use the originals but have ordered "the improved Drake" ones to paint up just in case...
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline GD64

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 04:23:27 AM »
I haven't had to do this, but perhaps you can look at having the originals plastic welded?
64 Galaxie (54A)
RHD Export Model
390 4V, Dual Range Automatic
Oaville, Ontario Assembly plant.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 11:00:22 AM »
Try repairing the original first.  I've been using Loctite superglue for plastic parts, works very well.  Get the one in the blue container, 'Professional' on the label.  Sold at Lowe's.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline DM_1964

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 10:22:39 PM »
Try repairing the original first.  I've been using Loctite superglue for plastic parts, works very well.  Get the one in the blue container, 'Professional' on the label.  Sold at Lowe's.
Thx Charles, I'll give that a go...
Regards,
Dom
64 1/2 Caspian Blue Convertible - Dearborn

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 07:15:29 AM »
Definitely worth the effort to repair the cracks (thanks Charles)--the underlying issue is that the area that is cracked needs to fit over the windlace at the front of the door opening.  The reason the cracks developed in the first place is that the windlace is too thick--we're talking all factory parts here-- so once the kick panels are repaired they will still be too tight to fit over the windlace without cracking open again! :( 
Anyone ever experience this issue?
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 11:18:03 AM »
Definitely worth the effort to repair the cracks (thanks Charles)--the underlying issue is that the area that is cracked needs to fit over the windlace at the front of the door opening.  The reason the cracks developed in the first place is that the windlace is too thick--we're talking all factory parts here-- so once the kick panels are repaired they will still be too tight to fit over the windlace without cracking open again! :( 
Anyone ever experience this issue?

Yes, seen it on other original cars.

I would definitely try to glue it first, use a heat gun to warm up the plastic when installing, might give a little extra flex to the plastic.  The other option is to trim the windlace so the edge meets the top of the kick panel.  I have seen this installation method on original cars also.  Another trick would be to pull out the metal reinforcements in the windlace so it will squash easier.  Could possibly try heating the end and using some flat tip pliers to squash it down a bit flatter so the kick panel can go over easier.  Another suggestion would be to trim the windlace a bit and angle it so that just a little meets to the top of the kick panel.

Those original kick panels are very difficult to find, I would try my best to fix it and reinstall.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Skyway65

• Gold Level Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 11:58:58 AM »
Awesome suggestions Charles--that is exactly what I was looking for, confirmation that these didn't fit quite right even when they were new.  I will give it a go and see how it works.  This is the last (I hope) challenge before this car is DONE! ;)
Gary Schweitzer
MCA #00181
Traverse City, MI