Author Topic: 67 NJ - Hose ties for shock tower braces?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline mikelj5S230

• 1964 1/2 K code coupe, 5S230, and 2022 GT500 HE
67 NJ - Hose ties for shock tower braces?
« on: February 04, 2015, 03:36:38 PM »
I finished replacing the excellent, but incorrect, one piece export brace with the correct cheapie two piece stamped steel units, and since I have A/C I noticed the hoses pass under the braces, but should there be some kind of ties or straps to hold them or anything else there?  My braces also came with a small clip that looks like it is supposed to fit into the little hole on the passenger side brace, but I don't know how it fits in or what it is supposed to hold.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks,
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 08:30:10 PM by J_Speegle »
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: Hose ties for shock tower braces?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 04:18:32 PM »
I finished replacing the excellent, but incorrect, one piece export brace with the correct cheapie two piece stamped steel units, and since I have A/C I noticed the hoses pass under the braces, but should there be some kind of ties or straps to hold them or anything else there?  My braces also came with a small clip that looks like it is supposed to fit into the little hole on the passenger side brace, but I don't know how it fits in or what it is supposed to hold.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks,
4 flat rubber straps held with a metal cone shaped button. They hold the A/C hoses . The repros only last for a couple of years and then the rubber gets fragile and they break. NPD and others sell them.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline mikelj5S230

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 06:10:15 PM »
Thanks Bob, that is what was on it with the export brace, but since several things on this car were not correctly done by the restorer, I have to question everything. ;D
I don't always downshift, but when I do it is near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 07:26:31 PM »
Mike what year are you working on (this question)?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline mikelj5S230

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 07:41:00 PM »
Oh, sorry, '67 GT S code Jersey car built April 27, 1967.

Offline mtinkham

• That'll be easy
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 01:36:34 PM »
Mike's car was built two days after mine!
1967 S-code Fastback, GT, 3-speed manual, Metuchen, Scheduled 04-21-1967 - Actual 04-25-1967

Offline Laurie S.

• Trouble
  • Global Moderator
    • My 1968 Mustangs
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 04:12:21 PM »
Because those straps break so easily, I made some of my own straps that are wider and sturdier and put velcro on the ends.  I put two on each side to hold the hoses in place, then slide the rubber straps inward so the weight is off of them.  I drive that way, and haul the car in the trailer that way.  Once I'm at a show, I slide the rubber straps into the correct position and remove my velcro straps.  Before doing this, I was losing at least one strap with each trailer trip from the bouncing.  Now, I get two to three years worth of life out of them.  So I don't forget to remove them, they are a bright color so I can't miss them in the engine compartment.

Murphy, 1968 Coupe - Concours, Original Owner
Trouble, 1968 Fastback - Modified

MCA Gold Card Judge, 67-68 Concours
MCA Gold Card Judge, Modified - All Years

Offline OldMustangGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 01:28:01 PM »
Do those straps attach other things to the export brace as well? Seems like I've seen them on non A/C cars (perhaps incorrectly) also.