Author Topic: Progress  (Read 3230 times)

Offline machm1970

Progress
« on: January 31, 2015, 04:21:04 PM »
Here's a couple of pics of my '70 Convertible. I've owned it for 3 months, in that time I removed and rebuilt the original engine, brakes and steering. I also stripped the engine compartment down, repainted it, added new brake lines, etc. I replicated the original paint marks where I found them. The original C4 is being rebuilt now, then it goes back together. I do like to do things as original as possible, but I haven't been able to bring myself to apply the sound deadner to the firewall.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Progress
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 07:20:00 PM »
Here's a couple of pics of my '70 Convertible. I've owned it for 3 months, in that time I removed and rebuilt the original engine, brakes and steering. I also stripped the engine compartment down, repainted it, added new brake lines, etc. I replicated the original paint marks where I found them. The original C4 is being rebuilt now, then it goes back together. I do like to do things as original as possible,

Looks good - don't forget to paint the bypass hose and clamps ;)

Looks like your missing the boot and short blue wire for the throttle solenoid. Can be a pricey and difficult piece to find. Good luck got lucky to find one last week off a guy that was swapping out the intake and carb for a aftermarket - shinny set

but I haven't been able to bring myself to apply the sound deadner to the firewall.

Hear that from at least 90% of the owners - but it gets done some how. Does look allot more original once you get over the emotions
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

priceless

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 08:36:38 AM »
Engine looks nice, great job. Are you going to use the exhaust lift hooks to install the engine into the bay or an intake carb plate?
Be careful whichever way you go not to scratch up and ding anything.

Are your plans to show in Concours class? If so, when I'm judging the engine compartment, one of the first things I look for is the sound deadener on the firewall. I know, it's tough looking at the nice semi gloss finish then just covering up with some sound deadener, but that's the way the factory did it.

Good Luck with your resto. You're at the right place for correct info :)

Offline rayms69

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 11:51:03 AM »
Me and my wife installed the 428 in my car, only made one small scratch on the firewall, used the carb plate. You should have no problem putting that in without scratching, looks nice, good job.
10-26-1969 Dearborn 428 SCJ auto

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:40:08 AM »
If so, when I'm judging the engine compartment, one of the first things I look for is the sound deadener on the firewall. I know, it's tough looking at the nice semi gloss finish then just covering up with some sound deadener, but that's the way the factory did it.

+1, it's one of the hardest things to do.  On one of my cars, I made my wife duplicate the original seam sealer drips, since I couldn't bring myself to "mess up" my fresh firewall.  On the undercoating, I've found that Rustoleum aerosol undercoating looks surprisingly good for an aerosol can.  I used it on my '66 fastback, and was pleasantly surprised.  It builds up like the original coating, and subsequent coats don't dissolve earlier coats like some products tend to do.

Too much junk, too little time.

Offline machm1970

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 11:48:07 AM »
I'm going to use the lift hooks to install the eingine, I always put cardboard over both shock towers before setting it in. Which items were on the firewall when the sound deadner was sprayed?

Thanks,

Matt

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 12:45:47 PM »
I always put cardboard over both shock towers before setting it in.
I watched a local shop drop a 428 into a 68 and they used a couple of packing blankets on the fenders for protection. The transmission was not attached as it became too unwieldy, heavy and the engine hoist was not tall enough to work.
Which items were on the firewall when the sound deadner was sprayed?
Everything, including the wiring harnesses.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »
i don't think the ground strap was on the firewall. it was on the engine.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 02:30:32 PM »
..................... Which items were on the firewall when the sound deadner was sprayed?

i don't think the ground strap was on the firewall. it was on the engine.

+1   mounting screw and that end of the grounding wire was not in place when the firewall was sprayed

Since you have a 70 convertible - we know it was built at Dearborn so we can skip that question - this time ;)

If you would like  start a new thread about where a 70 Dearborn (AC or non AC)  would have gotten the firewall sealant sprayed and I'll post some reference pictures to help
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:33:06 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline JohnRB

• 0F03R120303
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 05:05:29 PM »
Here's a couple of pics of my '70 Convertible. I've owned it for 3 months, in that time I removed and rebuilt the original engine, brakes and steering. I also stripped the engine compartment down, repainted it, added new brake lines, etc. I replicated the original paint marks where I found them. The original C4 is being rebuilt now, then it goes back together. I do like to do things as original as possible, but I haven't been able to bring myself to apply the sound deadner to the firewall.

Looks realy nice.
We do like to see paint marks ;-) Also would be nice to know the VIN#. You might delete the 2 or 3 last numbers.

John