Author Topic: 67 Underside resto  (Read 1833 times)

Offline V8_bloke_28

67 Underside resto
« on: January 25, 2015, 07:11:23 AM »
Hi. I'm restoring the underside of my 67 fastback in which I've taken all the paint off to bare metal.
Before I paint it red oxide, should I paint an undercoat first or is the red oxide good enough to use as an undercoat?
Cheers
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 08:18:33 PM by J_Speegle »

Offline 67gta289

Re: Underside resto
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 07:29:24 AM »
A bit more information is needed.

How did you prepare the metal?  If blasting, with what media?  Stripping?  Abrasive sanding?

What type of primer will you be applying? PPG DP40 or...?

Are you after a factory correct look, or something else?

What type of repair work, if any, will you make?  Filling pits, removing dents, cut and replace sections?
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
Re: Underside resto
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 09:11:17 AM »
Hi. I'm restoring the underside of my 67 fastback in which I've taken all the paint off to bare metal.
Before I paint it red oxide, should I paint an undercoat first or is the red oxide good enough to use as an undercoat?
Cheers

when & where was the car built?? it makes a difference.
5F09C331248

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 Underside resto
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 08:20:43 PM »
'

As long as it prepped right then the epoxy primer sealer or mixture of that and paints will work as your first and final coat

Cheers

Why red oxide?   As mentioned above we would need to know when and where the car was built to help guide you to at least what was being applied at that plant - during that time period if you didn't take the time to document what was original on your specific car

You only want to do this once ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline V8_bloke_28

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 01:42:38 AM »
Hi
The car was built in San Jose in late June 1967.
It has the original red oxide or paint or whatever you call it underneath which I want to freshen up.
I want the same colour as the factory.
I started sanding it to bare metal but I've reverted to soda blasting.
Could I paint the red oxide straight on the bare meal or should I use a primer.
I will fill in some screw holes with body filler that's about as far as repairs will go.
Cheers

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 01:53:47 AM »
Hi
The car was built in San Jose in late June 1967.
It has the original red oxide or paint or whatever you call it underneath which I want to freshen up.
I want the same colour as the factory.
I started sanding it to bare metal but I've reverted to soda blasting.
Could I paint the red oxide straight on the bare meal or should I use a primer.

Depends on what product your using but if your using a red oxide epoxy primer sealer like Ditzler/PPG you can apply that directly to the bare metal after you have prepared it first. Degrease and such

Straight from the "can"  it will not match your original floor color - that would require tinting to match. Also if your doing the front frame rails and that area the tint can be (often enough to notice) different from the floor section
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline carlite65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 08:20:45 AM »
also i would not fill the screw holes with bondo. weld them up & grind down. it will yield a much better result.
5F09C331248