Author Topic: help identifying 9" axle marking  (Read 1983 times)

Offline gaertner_jan

• Mustangs Switzerland
help identifying 9" axle marking
« on: January 22, 2015, 04:23:37 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm restoring a 9" for a customer and although he doesn't care too much about the markings it might have had, I figure I might as well do it right if we're going to do it at all. So... I've attached a picture of what look to be remnants of some sort of pink markings on the carrier. On the oil fill side it also looks like a yellow circle is coming up under the grime. The "oil filled" circle I'm familiar with but the pink marking I can't identify. Looks kind of like a 4 and maybe a 5 or an upside down 3??? Ideas anyone?

This is a 69 GT Convertible. 351W with FMX. Original export car to Switzerland. Pic of axle tag is also attached...

thanks for the help! J
There's no replacement for displacement!
http://www.mustangschweiz.ch

Offline Mike_B_SVT

Re: help identifying 9" axle marking
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 05:02:01 PM »
Mine is a '70 Dearborn Cougar 3.91 car from Oct 6th, but I have similar markings ~ mine appears to be "46".  Maybe that was some sort of tally number, so the guy could keep track of how many he built that day?  I say that because there is a similar number on my trans ("10").

Anyhow, here's the pics of mine...

Mike B.

2003 Mustang Cobra Convertible
1 of 354 in Sonic Blue

1970 Cougar Eliminator (Competition Gold / Black Decor Interior), 428SCJ, Ram-Air, 4-speed w/ Hurst shifter
Built: Dearborn, Oct 6th, 1969
Cat Bites Man!

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:00:58 PM »
..................I figure I might as well do it right if we're going to do it at all. So... I've attached a picture of what look to be remnants of some sort of pink markings on the carrier................ Looks kind of like a 4 and maybe a 5 or an upside down 3??? Ideas anyone?

This is a 69 GT Convertible. 351W with FMX. Original export car to Switzerland. Pic of axle tag is also attached...

Find that the number in that area (along with the one often found on the top center area) likely identified the worker or assembled or completed one of the processes used in assembling or setting the third member up originally. Have seen at least four different colors used for that marking depending on year and time. Not unusual (we see it allot) for workers to "make their mark" so that if there is a problem the boss's know who was responsible
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline redscj

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 11:24:06 AM »
Find that the number in that area (along with the one often found on the top center area) likely identified the worker or assembled or completed one of the processes used in assembling or setting the third member up originally. Have seen at least four different colors used for that marking depending on year and time. Not unusual (we see it allot) for workers to "make their mark" so that if there is a problem the boss's know who was responsible
     I'd like to confirm Jeff's suspicion. In the blue collar world it can be common to have a bonehead working in the area. I've seen guys slyly mark their output to CYA in case the boneheads stuff comes back. Not saying that this is the case here. But I would suggest to keep this in the back of your mind if you see uncommon marks. I entered the manufacturing world in 1973, non automotive. It got to the point that the company assigned us little stamps consisting of animals, symbols & geometric doodles to mark our stuff with if we so choose to do it. They kept a record of who had which stamp. So by at least 1976 there was enough demand for shop floor personalised marking that some company produced these stamps.
     I can only imagine some mechanic pondering over what in the world these little childish stamps meant on the parts he was repairing. Some parts crossed a lot of operations thus a lot of stamps.
     Long time lurker, first post. Thanks for reading. Not of a lot of people left now that were on the shop floors back then. Just giving a little insight into what it was like back then.

Offline gaertner_jan

• Mustangs Switzerland
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 12:22:45 PM »
Hey Gents,

Many thanks for your inputs. I found remnants of another marking that might have been a 2 on the other side of the pumpkin. At this point I'm not certain what to do about the markings. I can't clearly identify any of them except the typical oil fill circle.

My customer won't be interested in it too much since he now needs to think about me rebuilding the diff completely (including a new forged diff cover / clutch hat) or getting a new diff. Anyone ever see the diff cover sheared off completely?

thanks, J

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 02:26:34 PM »
Anyone ever see the diff cover sheared off completely?

I've sheared them off half way back on the case.

Too many neutral drops when I was kid  ::)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline gaertner_jan

• Mustangs Switzerland
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 03:58:08 PM »
Yikes! I actually told him beforehand that it can happen on these diffs, I just wasn't expecting it on a 351W Convertible. Seems a previous owner really got on it a few times...

J