Author Topic: Trap door bumper  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Fastback2013

Trap door bumper
« on: February 02, 2015, 04:45:29 PM »
I have a question concerning the installation of my (restored) trap door in my Fastback 67.
When I look at the Osborn manual, there are supposed to be 2 trap door bumpers (below the trap door)?
In attachment there are 2 pictures (passenger side and driver side) of what my existing situation was (before restoring).
At the passenger side there was also a bumper at the upper side of the trap door.
The driver side was there also (once  ::)), but when I purchased the car it was just the bolt and no bumper on it  :-\.
Picture 3 and 4 is a closeup of the bolt/nut/bumper that was used at the upper side.
The bolt is moulded into the rubber and that type of bumper/rubber I haven't found in aftermarked, so there is again the possibility that it wasn't supposed to be there, or in case it is correct... where can I found these?
I have searched a lot on different websites, but I didn't find any picture of the same bumper.
I hope that I have explained it clearly enough.
All help is welcome.
Kind regards,
Jeroen

San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Trap door bumper
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 05:08:38 PM »
Don't ever remember seeing that style on any of the early (or even later) fastbacks but by 67 this IMHO was one of the few areas I believe they didn't change through the year.

Rattles and creaks were a common thing owners complained about on the early cars and Ford (if I remember correctly) changed the trap door bumpers 2 or 3 times in the first year.

Remember the assembly manuals only show us a snap shot of one period of time to what Ford wanted to be done at the plants. Not before and nor after with any assurance IMHO
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline Fastback2013

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 05:27:13 PM »
Thanks Jeff for your explanation.
It seems that I must seek a manner to mould my existing bolt in to a new bumper (if I want to restore it like it came)???
When looking at the trap door (from in the trunk), you can see clearly the nut that's holding everything into place.
Drilling a hole is of course not that difficult when the plant didn't forseen it...
Jeroen
San Jose 7R02C1708xx
Fastback GTA
built on 01/12/1967

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 05:54:46 PM »
Thanks Jeff for your explanation.
It seems that I must seek a manner to mould my existing bolt in to a new bumper (if I want to restore it like it came)???

If your restoring the car then no reason to - wasn't original. Instead just purchase the original style reproduction and place it in the original location (not knowing where this one was placed)

When looking at the trap door (from in the trunk), you can see clearly the nut that's holding everything into place.

Rivets should be holding all the panels together - all visible from the trunk side

Original arrangement

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)