Author Topic: How to Verify OEM '67 Starter?  (Read 2951 times)

Offline drummingrocks

How to Verify OEM '67 Starter?
« on: December 01, 2014, 11:39:13 AM »
Hi guys, the starter on my '67 coupe went out over the weekend.  Since the car broke down at a gas station, time was of essence in getting it going again, so I ran to the local parts store and got a reman. starter.  I did keep the starter I took off, since I thought it might be the original one for the car.  After I clean off the years of dirt and road grime, how can I know if this is the original starter for my car?  If it's not, I'm going to turn it in as a core.  I glanced at the starter while it was off, but didn't see any part numbers or Ford stampings anywhere. 

Thanks!
Brett
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
Re: How to Verify OEM '67 Starter?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 12:54:48 PM »
Hi guys, the starter on my '67 coupe went out over the weekend.  Since the car broke down at a gas station, time was of essence in getting it going again, so I ran to the local parts store and got a reman. starter.  I did keep the starter I took off, since I thought it might be the original one for the car.  After I clean off the years of dirt and road grime, how can I know if this is the original starter for my car?  If it's not, I'm going to turn it in as a core.  I glanced at the starter while it was off, but didn't see any part numbers or Ford stampings anywhere. 

Thanks!
Brett
Sometime in later part of early 67 production Ford changed over from ink stamping a blank case to metal stamping a case with the engineering numbers. You may have the early style .A number of nuance assemblyline differences on hardware, assembly technique etc. so maybe post a picture. To complicate things it may have been rebuilt before and be a combination of parts from different starters. Look at the nose piece and find the engineering number off of that so as to shed some light for good or bad.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »
Sometime in later part of early 67 production Ford changed over from ink stamping a blank case to metal stamping a case with the engineering numbers. You may have the early style .A number of nuance assemblyline differences on hardware, assembly technique etc. so maybe post a picture. To complicate things it may have been rebuilt before and be a combination of parts from different starters. Look at the nose piece and find the engineering number off of that so as to shed some light for good or bad.

Thanks, Bob, I'll get a picture as soon as I can get it cleaned up.  This is a December '66 car, so I'm not sure where it falls as to having an ink stamp or a case stamping.  If it's an ink stamp, I bet it's long gone.

Offline Bob Gaines

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 07:16:31 PM »
Thanks, Bob, I'll get a picture as soon as I can get it cleaned up.  This is a December '66 car, so I'm not sure where it falls as to having an ink stamp or a case stamping.  If it's an ink stamp, I bet it's long gone.
It would most probably be a ink stamped case if built in that time frame . I would be surprised if any of the stamp was legible but the blank case is a indication of the type used during that time period. The blank case actually affords you more latitude in a correct starter. The difficult ones are the metal stamped cases because you could only use a case that had a correct application engineering number stamped into it unlike the blank case where a donor case could come from multiple applications.
Bob Gaines,Shelby enthusiast, Shelby collector , Shelby concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 07:09:53 AM »

Just curious, but it would be nice to see images. I've seen images of the restored ones (bnrparts on eBay, are they a.k.a. "CAE"? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Starter-Mustang-289-AC-289-HIPO-1965-1966-1967-A-T-Ink-Stamped-/251739719170?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a9cdb4602&vxp=mtr ) but my thoughts are the nut on the starter cable provided in their restoration isn't correct. I believe the assembly line starters had a coarse thread nut with built in washer, similar/same to what is on the solenoid. Menory is foggy there. I know when I took my starter off earlier this summer, I have a 70's style one on my car so obviously it is incorrect. The cable on those mounts more on the end cap of the starter, not on the stud in the side of the case.

I recall many if not most rebuilders installed a fine thread stud for the starter cable and the originals were a coarse thread. Again, if memory serves me.

Richard
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 07:44:45 PM »
The example's ink stamp is incomplete and wrong in other ways IMHO for a mid year 67 Mustangs.

Not all years used the intergrated "toothed" washer for the cable attachment - as you mentioned a change took place like those used on the starter relay. Must have been the same set of electrical engineers doing both

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 04:46:21 PM »
Guys, sorry to disappoint, but I ran by the shop today, and one of the guys mistakenly returned the '67 starter in as a core.   :-\