Author Topic: Hood pin nut and washer 66 dearborn car  (Read 2334 times)

Offline tnguy624

Hood pin nut and washer 66 dearborn car
« on: June 09, 2014, 11:39:56 PM »
At the MCA show in Springfield, it was brought to my attention that the nut and washer  I had on my hood pin was incorrect.  What I have is a phosphate/oil nut and washer. The washers phosphate is much darker. According to the parts manual it shows S-8 in the parts listing and just S in the illustrated section. I read some previous post about engine mount bolts from AKM having the same numbers. My question is what is suppose to be there, and how thick is washer and bolt suppose to be? The car is dearborn built Jan 17, 66 scheduled build date, convertible 6 cylinder if that matters. Thanks so much for any help!
Terry
1966 Convertible
Born Jan. 17, 1966 Dearborn
Rebirth began Feb. 2012
Reborn July 2013

1966 Sprint
Born  May 27, 1966  Dearborn
D-4 Interior: Parchment/Emberglo
V    Exterior: Emberglo
Rebirth began March 2009
Reborn May 2011
Moved to Australia Dec. 2011
MCA # 78931

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Hood pin nut and washer 66 dearborn car
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 01:35:32 AM »
Looks to be the same basic hardware as the 66 San Jose discussion a couple of days ago

Sure Phil or someone else will pop in with a prettier picture - this one was handy

For the record from 6F07T12725x

And 6F08C24824x

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tnguy624

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »
Thanks so much for taking the time to show me!

Terry
1966 Convertible
Rebirth began Feb. 2012
Reborn July 2013

1966 Sprint
Rebirth began March 2009
Reborn May 2011
MCA # 78931

Offline tnguy624

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 01:24:58 AM »
From what I can tell they look to be phosphate / oil just like the bolts holding the bar. Is that correct? It seems that one of the judges that was helping me with my car a day earlier mentioned the washer was suppose to be steel, not phosphate.  Since I'm in a new location I hope I can ask another question. My master cylinder cap is A NOS with the correct marking and no DOT info on it since it was before DOT was around. Two judges gave me to answers, one said it was to be painted, as it was done at factory prior to going to ford, other said it was left unpainted as it was not on when arrived at ford. What advice can I get? I haven't receiecvd my judging sheet back yet so I don't even know if these things were deducted. Thanks for any insight

Terry
1966 Convertible
Rebirth began Feb. 2012
Reborn July 2013

1966 Sprint
Rebirth began March 2009
Reborn May 2011
MCA # 78931

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 12:19:18 PM »
From what I can tell they look to be phosphate / oil just like the bolts holding the bar. Is that correct?
Yes
It seems that one of the judges that was helping me with my car a day earlier mentioned the washer was suppose to be steel, not phosphate. 
The assembly manuals refer to a phosphate washer, but San Jose cars have been found with chrome washers.
My master cylinder cap is A NOS with the correct marking and no DOT info on it since it was before DOT was around. Two judges gave me to answers, one said it was to be painted, as it was done at factory prior to going to ford, other said it was left unpainted as it was not on when arrived at ford.
Painted.
Be advised that NOS parts may not be the same as what the factory used, they are for the most part service replacements.
Jim

I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 08:20:26 PM »
..........Two judges gave me to answers, one said it was to be painted, as it was done at factory prior to going to ford, other said it was left unpainted as it was not on when arrived at ford. What advice can I get?........................

Sorry to hear that some MCA Judges in that class still have not accepted the black master cylinder and sort of surprised that the last set of rules from MCA I have copies of show that they allow both black or cast iron finish, Likely left over from a transition from one to another that never got followed through on. Seen this happen way to many times - we learn a new detail, it get accepted but the pressure comes from others with the concern for the cars already restored so we would put in the either or wording expecting that later will be lose the old and allow only the correct finish at a later date.

In any case you should not be deducted for the finish since the rules allow for either. Here is wording from the currently posted rules on the site

"GG. Master Cylinder, Brake Booster and Rigid Brake Lines:
Master Cylinder: Semi-gloss black or cast iron finish. 64½ - must have brake light switch. 65-66 - no hole.
Cap & Retaining Clips: Black or natural. 64½ dome style cap may be copper or black. 66 - disc brake master cylinder cap, black or natural with decal.
Booster: Semi-gloss black.
Rigid Brake Lines: Natural steel finish."
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline tnguy624

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 08:20:46 PM »
Just wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to help me with my questions. It is greatly appreciated! :)
1966 Convertible
Rebirth began Feb. 2012
Reborn July 2013

1966 Sprint
Rebirth began March 2009
Reborn May 2011
MCA # 78931