Author Topic: Carpet & Interior Quarter trim panels  (Read 6252 times)

Offline Angela

Carpet & Interior Quarter trim panels
« on: May 28, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »
The following question simply must have been covered previously, yet I cannot locate a definitive answer.

When the '67 cars were assembled on the line (SanJose), and carpets were being laid into the car, were the interior plastic/fiberglass quarter panel trim panels already in the car or were those panels installed after the carpet?

----> Specifically, was the carpet tucked underneath the leading edge of the interior quarter panels (rear seat area, adjacent to the trailing edge of the door/sill plate)? OR, did the carpet stop at the junction between the quarter panel trim and the floor pan, such that the carpeting would not slide up underneath the quarter trim panels?

Also, while I'm asking questions about carpeting, is there a poor-mans method for steaming the carpet to get it to lay properly? I bought the "good" carpet that comes somewhat pre-molded and it has been loosely laying in the car for a long time, yet I still think it needs some steam.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Carpet & Interior Quarter trim panels
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 12:05:39 PM »
I would have to say the rear quarters were not installed before carpet.

Lay the new carpet out in direct sunlight for an hour or so and then try putting it in the car.  Sometimes the padding glued to the bottom can cause the carpet to not lay in flat, so consider that a possibility also.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline Angela

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 12:34:58 PM »
Thanks Charles.
The detail that is really bugging me is whether or not the rear corners of the carpet would have rested beneath the interior quarter panels, -OR- if the carpet was cut and laid flat against the interior quarter panels. I suspect the former, given the latter would have consumed more time. I cannot find any pictures of this area, either in original or restored vehicles.

Offline drummingrocks

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 12:39:35 PM »
Also, while I'm asking questions about carpeting, is there a poor-mans method for steaming the carpet to get it to lay properly? I bought the "good" carpet that comes somewhat pre-molded and it has been loosely laying in the car for a long time, yet I still think it needs some steam.

I went to Target and bought a cheap (maybe $50 max) upholstery steamer.  Any big name retailer like Wal-Mart, Target, etc., probably has several of them to choose from.  These are absolutely worth their weight in gold when doing a headliner, upholstery, or carpet, and again, they're not expensive at all.
Too much junk, too little time.

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 05:14:53 PM »
Yes, realize what you're talking about now, there is a notch that looks like the carpet would butt up to the panel and then a screw installed.  I have only seen the carpet installed behind these panels though. 
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 07:04:21 PM »
A couple of pics from unrestored 7F02C200xxx from the Springfield show.

The first pic shows that the carpet is under the rear panel (only a small portion for the fastback near the sill plate)

The second pic shows that the carpet is under the front (kick) panels.

The third pic shows the screw through the carpet near the front of the front seat.

Hope this helps.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline Angela

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 09:27:47 PM »
Thanks a ton for the pics! To be clear, are you (and the pics you posted) indicating that the carpet should be installed underneath the quarter trim panel as shown in this pic of my present project?
And, I think (but am not sure) your text in parenthesis eludes to the fact that the carpet needs to be cut away from behind the small section of the quarter trim panel where the sill plate joins, else the sill plate won't install.... agreed?

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 10:11:41 PM »
A couple of pics from unrestored 7F02C200xxx from the Springfield show.

The first pic shows that the carpet is under the rear panel (only a small portion for the fastback near the sill plate)

The second pic shows that the carpet is under the front (kick) panels.

The third pic shows the screw through the carpet near the front of the front seat.

Hope this helps.

Those are all typical of a 67 San Jose car - Also notice (something we've been pushing for a number of years) that the quarter panel cover carpet on a fastback does not have the sewn edges like on the reproduction versions since the 80's :(

So on all body styles the carpet was installed before the quarter trim and then the sill plates were installed

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 07:00:24 AM »
Thanks a ton for the pics! To be clear, are you (and the pics you posted) indicating that the carpet should be installed underneath the quarter trim panel as shown in this pic of my present project?
And, I think (but am not sure) your text in parenthesis eludes to the fact that the carpet needs to be cut away from behind the small section of the quarter trim panel where the sill plate joins, else the sill plate won't install.... agreed?

If you look clearly at the top picture, you should notice the majority of the carpet where it intersects with the panel is actually bound.  There is a small piece that tucks up under the panel near the sill plate.

The replacement carpet (hard to call it a reproduction because they don't reproduce the detail correctly) does not have the bound edges, and thus you have an issue to deal with.

Is there a correct carpet?  Can a carpet such as yours be bound in to look correct?

If not, I would probably install as you have shown.

For the small piece glued on to the panel, as Jeff pointed out it should not be bound.

Make sense?
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 08:44:03 AM »
If you look clearly at the top picture, you should notice the majority of the carpet where it intersects with the panel is actually bound... Can a carpet such as yours be bound in to look correct?
Most (household) carpeting stores and car upholstery shops that do installation work have a machine that will bind your carpeting very much like the binding pictured. The household carpeting stores often do this in commercial applications for along the baseboards of the walls etc. Take some of the pictures to a few and see if any of them think they can help you out. It will surely be better, IMO, than just tucking it under the panel.
BTW, you should get all of your wrinkles worked out and the fitment everywhere else done first, (holes for seat, shifter steering column, firewall fitment, dimmer switch, holes "burned in" for seat belts or screws etc) then mark where to have it bound. You may wish to have the place doing the binding make the final cut on the carpeting. There is likely enough left over from a scrap cut to do the 1/4 trim pieces. If you have the skills, you should be able to cut those in yourself. If you are concerned, any of the carpet stores/upholstety shops would be happy to help out.

Richard
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 08:47:50 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline GTaylor842

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 12:14:20 PM »
Thank you very much for the photos showing unrestored carpet details.  I currently have the interior out of my car to do some work and cleaning and was wondering last night what the small screw hole was for just outboard of the front seat mounting holes.  The PO didn't install the screw there so I had no idea.  Now I do and will be replacing that when the carpet goes back in.
Greg Taylor
67 Metuchen Fastback
289-4V, 4 speed
7T02A158511
63B       T      6A      05M   17        1        5
Body  Color  Trim   Date   DSO   Axle   Trans

Offline Angela

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 02:31:09 PM »
Ahhhhh, I *think* I understand this now..... yesterday when I first looked at the pictures posted of 7F02C200xxx I thought that the bound sewn edges were that of the small section of carpet which is glued to the quarter panel trim (that which Jeff and others are stating should NOT be bound). Looking at this again today, I now think what is actually being shown is that the main floor carpet is sewn/bound and is visible at the junction of the carpet and quarter panel trim, yes?

Is it true that from one car to another, one might see a varying amount of the bound edge?....meaning that more or less of the bound edge could have become tucked up underneath the interior quarter panel trim?

FYI, my reproduction carpet DOES have the sewn, bound edge in this area. However, the small pieces of carpet which are to be glue to the quarter trim also have a bound edge, which I believe you're telling me should not be the case and I should cut that off before gluing it to the panel.

Do I have this right?

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 03:29:51 PM »
Do I have this right?
You might wish to take notice if the car has similar build information, but that photo shows the carpeting as I remember all the ones I have worked on.
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 06:05:40 PM »
1. I now think what is actually being shown is that the main floor carpet is sewn/bound and is visible at the junction of the carpet and quarter panel trim, yes?
2. Is it true that from one car to another, one might see a varying amount of the bound edge?....meaning that more or less of the bound edge could have become tucked up underneath the interior quarter panel trim?
3. FYI, my reproduction carpet DOES have the sewn, bound edge in this area. However, the small pieces of carpet which are to be glue to the quarter trim also have a bound edge, which I believe you're telling me should not be the case and I should cut that off before gluing it to the panel.
/quote]

1. Yes
2. I've only seen the bound edge outside, not tucked in at all.  Others may have a different experience.
3. Correct, trim the small pieces.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »
Ran across my repro carpet from 1982 (wish I had kept the original...) and can see that even way back then the small pieces that get glued on the rear panels for a fastback have incorrect bound edges.
John
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660