Author Topic: New Scott Drake '66 Day/Night Mirror  (Read 2493 times)

Offline JKWilson

New Scott Drake '66 Day/Night Mirror
« on: January 05, 2013, 12:46:34 AM »
I don't know if everyone is aware of the two new reproduction mirrors that Scott Drake has recently came out with, a '65 version and a '66 version. They were posted on Virginia Classic Mustang's blog several weeks ago. I'm not posting as an advertisement for Scott Drake or VMC (though I just ordered one through them). The reason I'm posting is to provide some comparison shots between the new '66 repop and an original mirror.

Let me begin by saying that if you've ever seen the old repop version of the '66 day/night mirror, then you're probably aware they were horrendous! The new version is far from perfect, but miles ahead of the old one. If you're looking for a spot on replacement for those expensive NOS mirrors for that super concours resto, IMHO, keep looking. If you're looking for a really nice replacement though, this one will certainly fill the bill. Below are the differences I've been able to find (the original is always in the top of the image):

Starting with the WORST feature of the old repop; the knob! The new knob now has embossed metal plates on them, gone are the cheap paper tags. The flaws I found were; the font is slightly different and a little larger (causing letter spacing to be slightly longer); the "day" side is slightly bulged out from the knob as opposed to fitting flat. While the font and sizing issue is also seen on the "nite" side, it fits flat as the original does.

Moving to the back side, there are a number of small differences. One thing added though is the "FoMoCo" oval. It's size and location are pretty darn close to perfect. The ribbing across the back is now dull silver. In the photo below there are several issues. The mounting post is slightly larger on the repop than the original. It fits fine into a Scott Drake bracket, but I didn't try it on an original. At the top of the mirror back the embossed curved area had a larger radius in the curve on the original, providing a more sweeping line. The bulged area at the very top of the mirror is a shallower bulge on the on the repop.

At the bottom of the back side (near the knob), the embossed area is more pointed on the original than the repop.

The ribbing is different between the two. The repop has larger ribs and the embossing seems a little deeper.  This is hard to see in my crappy pics of this, sorry. I couldn't get it any sharper with the lighting I had.

Last is the outer radius of the mirror edge. The repop has a more curved edge as opposed to the originals more flat edge along the side. (repop is on the left)

With all that said, many of these differences would be difficult to spot without an original right beside it. I plan on using the mirror in a slightly modified '66 coupe. It is a nice piece. My fastback restoration will have to wait in an original though! Hope anyone curious about the new repop finds this helpful. BTW, since most "errors" seemed to be associated with the twist knob and areas surrounding it, I'd be curious to see how close the '65 version is.

John
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: New Scott Drake '66 Day/Night Mirror
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 01:19:19 PM »
Thanks for the comparison, very useful for future reference. 

It's still amazing to me that manufacturers can't get that last 10% right and make an exact reproduction.  There are so many repro parts that look very nice, but when held next to an original, the differences are obvious.  I can't imagine the outer radius of the mirror being that much more difficult to get right.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline JKWilson

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 11:37:52 PM »
Glad to share Charles. Especially since I've received so much valuable info from everyone here. The least I can do is give something back.

The piece is nice, especially after seeing the first generation of the repops. Those seemed like they didn't try at all! I'm sure someone also took note of the bent edges on the original. I bought several originals that were in rough condition, but got them cheap. That was so I could tear into them, hence the bent edges. One thing I discovered about the original '66 style is the twist knob simply plugs into the bottom of the housing. You can actually snap it in and out without fear of damaging anything! I try to get some pics posted of what an original looks like inside. It may be helpful for someone wishing to try to restore an original. I'll also try to get some better shots of the ribs so the difference is a little more discernible.
'66 GT Fastback,  Metuchen, 10/28/65, 289-4v w/4spd
'66 Sprint Coupe, Dearborn, 06/11/66, 200ci w/ C4
'91 LX Convertible, Dearborn, 08/91, 5.0 w/AOD
'92 LX Hatchback, Dearborn, 5.0 w/AOD

Offline rusty nuts

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 08:49:27 AM »
Has anyone had any joy with restoring the original mirror?

Offline ChrisV289

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 03:29:34 PM »
Has anyone compared the 64.5/65 Day/Nite mirror that is the push type?  Curious how that one is...
Chris
1965 Honey Gold Fastback (SJ 10/29/64)
1965 Caspian Blue Fastback (SJ 06/03/65)
2009 V6 Mustang Coupe