Author Topic: Rechroming Plastic Arm Rest Bases  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Chris

Rechroming Plastic Arm Rest Bases
« on: November 29, 2012, 01:46:36 PM »
I'm looking to rechrome my 64 1/2 arm rest bases. These are unique in that the hand holds are squarred off versus beveled like with 65 and 66 standard interior arm rest bases. The chrome has completely worn off and since these are not reproduced, I need to find a company that can do this work. Tony's Auto Classics used to do this (Plastic "chroming" using a vacuum metalizing process), but they have stopped this service.

Anyone know of a good company for rechroming plastic parts like arm rest bases?

I'm also looking for a way to refurbish my aluminum door sill plates. They are pretty beat up, and once again, being 64 1/2 unique (squared off ends versus rounded like 65/66) I can't replace them.

Thanks!
64 1/2 Poppy Red Convertible, 260V8 auto, 19 June 64

Offline kutzoh

• Gold Level Subscriber
Re: Rechroming Plastic Arm Rest Bases
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 05:02:20 PM »
Chris,
    I used AutoInstruments , http://www.autoinstruments.com/index.html , when I did my coupe's instrument bezel. Unfortunately they've sold their plastic chroming business to Visions Restorations:

Visions Restorations
31 Workshop Road
Martinsville, VA 24112
276-806-8858

I can't speak for Visions work but you might want to check them out. I know AutoInstruments did the arm rest bases at the time, I believe they were around $30 each.

As for your sill plates, I'm in the same boat as you except I don't think mine are even good candidates for stripping and re-anodizing - but they are original!!

Greg
64.5 Dearborn coupe, D-Code, June 28, 1964   Skylight Blue