Author Topic: Need Help to decode Tag  (Read 2740 times)

Offline petersixtfive

Need Help to decode Tag
« on: April 04, 2012, 07:35:58 AM »
Can any one help with the decoding of this tag
Considering purchasing this car and hoping someone can shed some light
Can work out some of it but a couple of things have me stumped
Thanks for any help
65 SJ GT fastback June 65 Build

Offline Pete Bush

Re: Need Help to decode Tag
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 08:40:29 AM »
Looks like the tag off the owners warranty card - not the buck tag.

San Jose built A-code fastback with a scheduled build date of May 20th. Standard black interior. Los Angeles DSO. The 712887 indicates a special order paint color.

There's another Mustang listed in the Mustang production guide 6R07C204909 May 24th with a 712886. They may both have been a part of a dealer special promotion of some sort.
'66 6-cylinder Sprint Convertible
Metuchen - Scheduled May 10th; Built June 21st

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 11:57:32 PM »
Agree that this looks like the bottom half of the door tag (both stamped at the same time) that was separated (as normal) and glued to the temp warranty card.

Since its missing a paint color (blank) and has the longer DSO it appears to be a special paint car. If the car has been stripped and repainted in the past the original color is likely long gone and there is no way to figure it out :(

IS the lack of paint color and the long DSO what was concerning you?
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:30:22 AM »
Thanks Pete and Jeff
The door data plate is missing however this tag has been provided and it matches the stamped vin in the fender aprons
I was hoping someone may have known from the tag what the special order color was ?
The car is a factory GT fastback and was painted approx 15 years ago in a color similar to springtime yellow.
The are traces of a reddish color underneath this, maybe this reddish color was the original or another earlier reprint
Just some lateral thinking here , The dealer at the time of selling the car to the customer must of had a another colour chart that they could pull out of the desk drawer and show the potential purchaser that had these additional colours on the chart?
The long dso number appears to be a sequential number according to Pete and may not indicate what the actual colour is . If you search the last 4 digits (2887) you come up with light aqua (ditzler code) or crown sapphire
Any thoughts on this I guess I am trying to establish the original colour
Thanks

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 09:07:59 AM »
Peter,

The last four digits of the DSO represent a sequential order number that was assigned by Ford as special orders accrued, and not the code number of the paint. You can read a little about the special order process and paint specifically in my Thread here under the Build Sheet section and also on my blog at:
http://mustangcodex.blogspot.com/2010/10/paint.html
Supposedly, the paint code was included in paperwork that was inserted in the glovebox when the car was built, but this paperwork often gets lost or missing.

As far as locating remnants of the original color on your car:
The body color was shot before the interior was fitted or any of the glass and other trim-outs occurred. You may find some evidence of this overspray behind seats or quarter trim upholstery - or glass channels if you remove the rear glass or windshield. And Jeff might have other suggestions on where to look.

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:20:37 PM »
I've found original paint on the dash (under the pad) due to masking most of the dash during body painting.  This is just inside the windshield area, and you have to remove the dash to get at it.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 10:23:10 PM by midlife »
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:55:53 PM »
If the car has been repainted it may be difficult to find a good example of the original color - but it all depends on how they prepared the car. On a special order car I recently sold a nice section was found behind the rear back up lamps- seems that just masked around them when they shot the car. Similar things might be found on your car :

Behind exterior door handles, mirrors, back side of front headlight surrounds, under seals or weather strip in the door jambs or under the interior - but be sure you find a strong area of paint since where ended up there was often just overspray.

Another place that has worked for me is the door jambs if they didn't sand (they often don't) the surfaces. You will find the newer coat will lift and chip with little effort.

Just some possibilities
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline petersixtfive

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 07:59:05 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions and help, just a question back to Pete Bush would you have any further information on the car with the dso of 712886 ie its paint colour or other general information
I don't have access to the production guide that you are referencing
Thanks

Offline Pete Bush

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 08:37:56 AM »
Let's see:
You have the VIN,  the date, and the DSO. The paint color was blank, just as yours was. It was a standard interior coupe 65A. 2.80 axle and automatic transmission. At the time that the book was published (early 90's) the car belonged to Philip Peak of California.
Hope this helps  ;)

Offline tomtri66

• Bronze Level Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »
My coupe has a good example of the original paint on the package tray.  This area seems to be a good bet as the paint is pretty heavy there when they shoot the rear deck panel at the factory, as long as they didn't repaint the car with the rear glass out that is.  Should be an easy area to access as well.

Good luck.  Seems to be a pretty interesting car.
Tom
MCA# 78748 Adirondack Shelby Mustang Club
66 Metuchen HT Sprint 200 Package B
6T07T194XXX   65A       Y       22     20A     ?        2       6
                    BODY  COLOR  TRIM  DATE  DSO  AXLE  TRANS
C/O    762
4        A20     6T07T194XXX
65A       Y        22