Author Topic: sound deadner application  (Read 3452 times)

Offline cobrajetchris

sound deadner application
« on: February 04, 2012, 12:13:31 AM »
I have seen a photo of the sound deadening material being applied to a 70 mustang at one of the plants and it looks like it was applied very late in the assembly process. It looks like everything is on the undercarriage less the wheels in the photo I am referring to. My question is was the exhaust system, emergency brake cables, brake lines, drive shaft etc. all installed as it appears? If this is the case then these parts would be coated or at least overspray on them. I have a photo of my dearborn built 69 mach 1 and I can see where sound deadener was applied after the seat plugs were installed. I can't remember if the brake lines had deadener on them or not. I know the mach 1 had additional material applied to the trans. tunnel and possibly other areas and maybe that was applied earlier than the standard mustang.  Any original car photos of this application on a early 69 dearborn mach 1 car would be appreciated. I am not referring to any aftermarket or dealer undercoat as these products are not near as heavy as what the plant applied.   CHRIS
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 MUSTANG COUPE, DEARBORN BUILT 06/10/69 OWNED SINCE 1978
70 BOSS 302 MUSTANG, DEARBORN BUILT 10/24/69 OWNED SINCE 1987
69 R CODE MACH1 AUTO, DEARBORN BUILT 10/10/68 OWNED SINCE 2006
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: sound deadner application
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 12:38:20 AM »
Sound deadener was applied a number of times - rather than all at once at one station.

Trunk, interior and rear wheelwells were applied early before body color while front wheelwell were done very late in the process. Mach I application was done later in the process. Can confirm if it was done at the same station as the front wheelwell or not yet.

When the front wheelwell application was done everything in that area was installed minus the wheel and tire. This allowed the application over bolts, splash shields and such to reduce the chance of water getting into the interior of the car - something dealers complained every year about at the meetings

Floor application for the Mach I's appears to have been after Ebrake assy were installed as well as brakes, rearend, driveline as well as engine and trans but before exhaust (H pipe rearward since H pipe was attached to engine before installation) 

For pictures - what part of the car or application are you looking for. Should have a fair number of trunk, rear and front wheelwell for that period with fewer Mach I sound deadener application since those are more difficult to take at shows, parking lots or wrecking yards ;)
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 02:18:43 PM »
I am mainly looking for underside photos, such as transmission tunnel, qtr panel drop off areas & floor pan. If I am not mistaken I remember the sound deadener in the transmission tunnel being a little less texture as the wheel well areas? Thanks....CHRIS
CHRIS KNOBBE
69 R CODE MACH1 4 SPEED (factory black) SAN JOSE BUILT 12/30/68 OWNED SINCE 2007

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:14:01 PM »
Closest I've got is from a Jan Dearborn Mach. Looks similar to San Jose patterns. Guy stands in the middle of the car and makes three passes with the wand - front to rear. Closer to the wand the heavier and the coat fades out as the spray moves further from the end of the wand.

By standing in the middle fo the car the front frame rails produce a large shadow as seen in the pictures below.

Highlighted some of the examples of to where the layer still shows up to me - likely some has fallen off over the year

A later built Dearborn (original car) where the coat is much more apparent.

Close up of the product on the floor.

Trunk drop - only a wipe of the seam sealer on the lower edge as shown in the assembly manual

Hope these help
Jeff Speegle

Offline cobrajetchris

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 11:45:06 PM »
Thanks JEFF, My Oct. 68 dearborn car had that same blue batch color underneath the entire floor as the one in your photos. I duplicated this color during the restoration. Some of my original photos were not that clear due to rust in some areas, so this will help.  CHRIS
CHRIS KNOBBE

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »
Thats what we're here for ;)

Glad to help
Jeff Speegle