Author Topic: Fuel Sender Extension Wire  (Read 835 times)

Offline ninedrvr

Fuel Sender Extension Wire
« on: February 11, 2019, 12:36:18 PM »
I'm trying to find out about the fuel tank sending wire extension. Specifically how the wire was routed inside the trunk.

My question is what rear light harness was used? The reproduction harness I have has the yellow wire that's set up for the non dual exhaust car where the wire goes through the floor right in front of the sending unit. This wire has the grommet attached as well as a 90 degree fitting on the end. If Ford just plugged an extension wire into that did they leave the grommet on? I've tried to find pictures of this wire in the trunk that shows the extension connection but with no luck.

Does anyone have any pictures of an original dual exhaust car trunk without the mat?

1969 390 convertible dearborn 11/1968
1969 GT500 Convertible Recreation

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Fuel Sender Extension Wire
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 01:24:34 PM »
There are at least 3 variants of 69/70 fuel lines; what is reproduced is just one of them.  One of the variants uses a bullet-type plug and the others do not. 
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:10:46 PM »
I probably will surgically remove the grommet on the rear light harness and just connect the angle plug to the extension wire.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 06:27:33 PM »
1969 390 convertible dearborn 11/1968

What assembly plant. We know it makes a difference during other years
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline ninedrvr

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 10:40:21 PM »
Dearborn

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:01:26 PM »
Sorry missed it in your first posting

Looks pretty standard across the year for this particular application at Dearborn. Not allot of cars in pictures with the spare, trunk mat and other things out of the way. Below are a few examples I found. Note that some of the other wires have been moved around so don't focus on them.

Wire to fuel senders ran from nylon zip tie anchor at the drivers side trunk and wheel well house across the front edge of the gas tank (retained by rubber coated looped retainers) , then to the hole with grommet at the passenger side trunk floor forward end as shown

Hope this helps

Different body type but similar practice. This time with a small section of gaffers tape on the drivers side trunk floor. Trunk lamp wire has been unplugged and taillight wire disconnected and pulled away from where it was originally

Not sure if tape is attached or just fell over there since there is a wire retainer that goes to the forward passenger side corner gas tank retaining screw

Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)