Author Topic: Cobra kit medallion  (Read 2893 times)

Offline Bglover67

• 1965 Factory GT Convertible
Re: Cobra kit medallion
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 04:23:43 AM »
Very interesting detail about Bob P's Cobra Kit, the part number shows it's for a the 1967 model year, correct?  Well, the air cleaner cover shown, including the Cobra sticker and smaller air filter sticker, are also correct for what would have been found on a small block 67 Shelby, yet the valve covers wouldn't be.  Why do you think they didn't just use the later closed lettered style painted groves version as found on '67 Shelby's?  I understand Shelby American and Ford were two different entities with respect to manufacturing, but one might think that the appeal of a kit like this is for the average Mustang owner to be able to 'upgrade' his engine in performance and looks to the corresponding Shelby from that year.  Thoughts?
Sincerely,

Brian

SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Offline Bossbill

• In the middle of project hell
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 01:57:46 PM »
As a 67 Shelby owner that's the first thing I saw too.
Catering to early Mustang owners with just a slight nod to the later cars with the air cleaner?
It is certainly confusing.
Bill
Concours  Actual Ford Build 3/2/67 GT350 01375
Driven      6/6/70 0T02G160xxx Boss 302
Modified   5/18/65 5F09A728xxx Boss 347 Terminator-X 8-Stack
Race        65 2+2 Coupe conversion

Offline 21.04

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2019, 04:29:15 PM »
I also have an NOS Cobra kit but my contents are quite different than Bob’s.  Mine contains a hi-po distributor, HP SX plug wires, the Cobra fender medallions, and a distributor cap.  Distributor is dated 8/65.  Also I’m a similar early box with fomoco logo and a Cobra sticker.  Are there a few different kits?

Matt
66 K code Conv GT red/red deluxe 4 spd
66 A code Conv Non-GT black/red deluxe 3 spd
66 Sprint Conv Unrestored Green/blk std 3 spd

Offline jwc66k

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 04:36:41 PM »
I also have an NOS Cobra kit but my contents are quite different than Bob’s.
Matt,
Do you have a Ford kit stock number? Several Cobra kits are listed in the 60-68 MPC.
Jim
I promise to be politically correct in all my posts to keep the BBBB from vociferating.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 05:13:53 PM »
I also have an NOS Cobra kit but my contents are quite different than Bob’s.  Mine contains a hi-po distributor, HP SX plug wires, the Cobra fender medallions, and a distributor cap.  Distributor is dated 8/65.  Also I’m a similar early box with fomoco logo and a Cobra sticker.  Are there a few different kits?

Yes there were a number of "kits' that were made available through the performance part of the brand. Another that comes to mind is induction where you would get the intake and carb - had one on an original 66 K code that the original owner had installed at the dealer. Have a Norwegian Mustang book that was written years ago that has a bunch of pictures of a number of these kits in their original packaging.  Interesting book though I can't read a lick of the text.
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 196667Bob

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2019, 04:30:16 PM »
I would like to try to address questions/ comments from the last  Replies.

Bglover67 -  1) Yes, the C70Z Part Number is correct for 1967

2)  I know that the Cobra Sticker is correct for '67 , but can't tell about the
                        smaller rectangular sticker, since zooming in ti try to read the number on it
                        only results in a big blur. I sent a PM to Bob P a few days ago asking for
                        clarification as to what number is printed on it.

3)  On the Valve covers, I have several thoughts :

a) As Ford did with many parts, they exhausted existing inventory
                                        before using the "new stuff".
                        b) Ford intentionally wanted the Dress Up Kit to appear different
                                       than the 67 Shelby's. Remember, this same exact Kit and its
                            contents were marketed and sold for Falcons and Fairlanes also.
                            Why would I want my Falcon to resemble a Shelby ?
                        c) There was a Change made during the year, and Bob P's Kit was
                            an early Kit, and later Kits contain the solid letter Valve Covers.
                            Of course without a known later Kit, this is just speculation.
                            Although the idea of a Change may be valid, based on the
                            pictures you recently sent me of the # 029, 1967 Shelby. Note
                            the Valve Covers on the picture of the Engine Compartment in
                            the attached picture ? Of course I have no idea if that car is
                            original, or how # 029 fits into the time period, but interesting
                            nonetheless.

Of the 3 options presented, I am of the opinion that "b)" is the most
                            likely.

Bossbill
- Since the same covers(lids) were used on the 65-67's, am I correct that your 
        "slight nod" refers to the "Cobra" sticker ?

21.04, jwc66k, J_Speegle - As far as other Cobra Kits that were available, if you zoom in
                   on my attachments  # 1, 2, 5 and 7 in my Reply #2, you will
                   see listed "Other Cobra Kits Containing Cobra Medallions".
                   Note that this does not list the Kits that didn't contain the
                   the Cobra Medallions. Also note that there are no Engine
                   Dress Up Kits noted as containing the Cobra Medallions.
                  As my previous attachments were only 1965 and 1966, I
                   have included a copy of the contents description from the
                  "1967 Only" Parts and Accessories Catalog (single year
                   MPC), which does not show any Cobra Medallions as
                  being included. Yet, the picture that Bob P previously posted
                  shows them. Possibly Ford had an excess inventory of them,
                  ad figured that this was an easy way to deplete its inventory.
              Finally, to show all of the Cobra Kits available in 1965,66 and
              67, I am attaching the appropriate pages from the 1965 and
              1966 High Performance Parts Catalogs. As I do not have, nor
              know the existence if, a 1967 High Performance Parts Catalog,
              I have attached a list if the Kits noted as "Cobra Kits" which I
              compiled from the "1967 Only" MPC.

(Not enough room for all of the pictures, do several will ne in a "Continuation Posting)

Hope this helps.

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline 196667Bob

Re: Cobra kit medallion - continuation of Reply # 20
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 04:35:12 PM »
Pictures continued for Reply # 20

Bob
1966 Coupe, C Code, 3 Sp MT, 6T07C154XXX, Build Date 11/22/65
1967 Conv, C Code, C4, 7F03C154XXX, Actual Build Date 01/31/67
MCA 04909

Offline Dan Case

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2019, 01:49:59 PM »
from my notes...

Over the decades I have taken note of three different “COBRA” mascot emblems included in Cobra accessory induction kits. Which parts were used depended on what Shelby American was using at the time in new cars apparently.

S1CS-19523-B version 2, a Cobra production part during 1963 (not rare, offered as a service replacement until at least 1968) (note: There have been reproductions.)
S1CS-19523-C, a Cobra production part mid 1963 until mid 1965 (very rare not on an original Cobra)  (note: There have been reproductions.)
C3RA-14225-A, a 427 Cobra production part and retail market accessory, at some point in early 427 Cobra production through 1967 (not rare as Ford sold countless numbers of them, however quality of details went down over time) (There have been way too many different reproductions of this type to count. There are reproductions of reproductions of reproductions in the replicar market.)

Ford advertising used pictures or artistic renderings of the S1CS-C emblem into 1966 and beyond. The advertisement might show S1CS-C art and the parts being packed at the time could get C3RA-A parts.

"S1CS-19523-B Emblem, AC_Cobra 2 9/16" - as contracted by Mr. Shelby locally legend says and used on most west coast cars prior to at least CSX2133. A key feature of this part family was the new design had to be large enough to cover the holes in the coachwork or damage to paintwork left by removal of mascot emblems installed by AC Cars. The reason was simple, to eliminate the need to do metal and paint repair before installing S1CS-19523-B emblems where AC Cars mascots had been previously. There are three "original versions" of this part. The series started with smooth chrome plating and a rounded exterior edge, next was sharp corner exterior edge with brushed satin chrome plating, and finally a return to smooth chrome plating but this time the outer edge was left much sharper than that of the first version. Both the second and third versions were available as service parts well into 1968.

In the book COBRA PILOTE: THE ED HUGUS STORY it is claimed that the original rounded corner smooth chromium plated version was discontinued due to cost to be replaced by the brushed finish part. Why the third sharp cornered smooth chromium plated version was introduced is a mystery. (Cobra Kit Note: Some of the “COBRA” accessory induction kits Ford and Shelby sold, assembled by the contractor Dearborn Steel Tube, retail included a medallion kit comprised of two of these emblems and four Tinnerman® brand push on speed nuts. At some point Ford stopped including this part in induction system kits and started using the emblem that superseded it.)

"S1CS-19523-C Emblem, AC_Cobra" - as designed by Mr. Brock. Legend says Mr. Brock hated the S1CS-B part and that Mr. Shelby gave him the go ahead to design something he liked better. CSX2133 is the first chassis known to have received this third design. We only know that because CSX2133 was a press car used for promotional work and clear photos of emblems and the chassis number markings just happened to get published in a magazine road test article. (Cobra Kit Note: Some of the “COBRA” accessory induction kits Ford and Shelby sold, assembled by Dearborn Steel Tube, retail included a medallion kit comprised of two of these emblems and four Tinnerman brand push on speed nuts.)

”Ford C3RA-14225-A 2”. The C3RA-14225-A part was produced in a single cavity permanent mold by one of FoMoCo's  trim suppliers at the time. It replaced the S1CS-19523-C part during 427 Cobra production and became the service part for all cars eventually. (Cobra Kit Note: Some of the “COBRA” accessory induction kits Ford and Shelby sold, assembled by Dearborn Steel Tube, retail included a medallion kit comprised of two of these emblems and four Tinnerman brand push on speed nuts.)

Just in case you are using new old stock emblems from a Cobra induction kit to replacement emblems on an original Cobra or 427 Cobra; I am 98% certain that the Tinnerman push on nuts supplied in kits were not the same ones used against the aluminum coachwork of Cobras. The kits nuts are usually dyed black phosphate and oil protected. The ones I removed from Cobras or still on unrestored cars were olive drab dichromate finished to go against bare aluminum.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 05:00:47 PM by Dan Case »
Dan
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.