Author Topic: Cowl painted  (Read 2200 times)

Offline cob428

Cowl painted
« on: July 15, 2018, 02:01:27 PM »
Have a GT500 #3221 Dearborn built 06/69, was the cowl painted body color or black. If body color how far down?
Concourse Wantabe
69 GT 500 Built Dearborn 06/69
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: Cowl painted
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 02:20:31 PM »
Blacked out well before that point in time at that plant. There are a number of threads discussing the possible change point at Dearborn and pictures of examples also
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline cob428

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 11:09:15 PM »
When I bought this in 91the guy I purchased it fro.noainted it red,over spray all over the seats and the interior quarter trim.  When I started to disassemble under the quarter trim for the brake ducts that was still grabber and under the wiper cowl was still grabber green, no chance it was body color? >:( >:( >:(
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 11:35:43 PM »
When I bought this in 91the guy I purchased it fro.noainted it red,over spray all over the seats and the interior quarter trim.  When I started to disassemble under the quarter trim for the brake ducts that was still grabber and under the wiper cowl was still grabber green, no chance it was body color? >:( >:( >:(

You would find all those areas with the exterior color since it was applied before the black out for the engine compartment and the extension (for you cars period) above that pinch weld.

Not unusual for the paint to be fairly thin and either wear away or come off when cleaning or prepping the car in some areas. Even on cars that were blacked out under the cowl cover not all of them were covered 100% there - what is most important is what is visible on the completed car  in most owners cases

This blacking out also made blacking out the bottom windshield opening that (if not done) will really stand out in your completed car - especially since it grabber green. Believe there are a number of threads with pictures of both concerns
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 11:38:49 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle

Offline cob428

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 10:59:00 PM »
How far up the pillars and in the car does the black go on the cowl?
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 12:50:17 AM »
How far up the pillars and in the car does the black go on the cowl?

Not certain what your asking (worry likely its me)

On the exterior the black out would not go on the windshield/roof/a pillar posts and the black out rarely reaches out to those bases

Could you be asking if and how far the interior facing side of that same section was or was not "blacked out" on a very late 69 Dearborn?

Jeff Speegle

Offline cob428

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 01:54:01 PM »
Ok I didnt ask it correctly. Does the cowling black paint cover the entire dash area under the dash pad and does the black cover the entire windshield area under the glass. I know early cars were body color and it changed late, I just dont know how far under the dash pad or inside the windshield frame the black goes.

Thanks Jeff
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 08:31:47 PM »
Having to reevaluate earlier statements and findings with the additional new examples that I've collected since I posted earlier comments. Happens

Have cars as late as mid-July built at Dearborn with no black on that thin upper interior cowl section where the upper part of the dash pad attaches so can't be certain if this was (at Dearborn in 69) connected with a production period or the result a particular painter or shift

Here are two examples
First one where the black appears to have been applied through the windshield opening from the front of the car after exterior color was applied

And of a A pillar section where they may have blacked out the interior vent area then up and onto the upper A pillar/windshield surround

Hope this helps as I don't have allot of examples with the black out detail showing/present
Jeff Speegle

Offline cob428

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 03:56:38 PM »
Thanks Jeff, I didn't realize the paint on the cowling and the dash was so faint, This really helps
Concourse Wantabe
A/C, Auto,
69 Mach 1 Metuchen 11/68
A/C, Auto 351 W
2009 Supersnake