Author Topic: 1967 Short Shaft Column Non-Tilt Query.  (Read 1753 times)

1967 eight barrel

1967 Short Shaft Column Non-Tilt Query.
« on: August 10, 2016, 08:16:11 PM »
I just got back home and have started back on component assembly. When I stripped the column, I didn't note any seal in the end of the tube, but I bought one when I purchased parts for it's restoration.  Should there be a seal at the end, or should it just be open?

-Keith

Offline preaction

Re: 1967 Short Shaft Column Non-Tilt Query.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 10:51:04 PM »
I used the part from NPD it seems more like a grommet than  seal. Im not sure if there is a difference for it from tilt to non tilt.
8F02R218047-  July 18 1968   Dearborn

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 08:37:05 AM »
I've done a little research in this area, but could never really nail it down fully.  I was working on a tilt version, but frankly I don't see any reason why it would be any different than a non-tilt short shaft with rag joint system.

For this I found that C7OZ 3C577-B was used for the Mustang.  A copy of area from the 1967 MPC is attached.   Yes, it does say "tilt steering wheel".  What is interesting is that there is no insulator listed for any other Mustang application.  This is hard to believe considering the harsh environment in that area, and the fact that the steering column tube would direct that towards the driver's face.

The only place that I found the part in reproduction form is here:

http://www.mustangsetc.com/67-mustang-steering-column-insulator-w-tilt/

For completeness sake, regarding the long shaft no rag joint version, there is a seal of sorts from what I've seen.  I added a picture from the shop manual that shows the seal.  I can't find any part numbers though.  All of the shop manual detailed pictures with part numbers are of the rag joint version.  I suspect that someone else can chime in here and provide a part number for this.  I also suspect that this would be a carry over part from 1966.

What is more interesting is the shop manual figure 7 (also attached), which shows the 3C577 insulator on a short shaft non-tilt column, which adds some credence to my thought that the C7OZ 3C577-B would be used on all of the short shaft columns, whether tilt or not.
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

Offline ruppstang

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 09:11:11 AM »
Our 67 GTA convertible built 11-04-66 SJ has a tilt column. It has the insulator but I can not remember if I replaced it many years ago when I restored the car.
Marty

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 11:36:54 AM »

For this I found that C7OZ 3C577-B was used for the Mustang.  A copy of area from the 1967 MPC is attached.   Yes, it does say "tilt steering wheel".  What is interesting is that there is no insulator listed for any other Mustang application.  This is hard to believe considering the harsh environment in that area, and the fact that the steering column tube would direct that towards the driver's face.

I've seen a sponge foam like NOS one of these before. My thoughts are that  the foam broke down in just a few short years so no sign of these would remain past about 10 years.

The only place that I found the part in reproduction form is here:

http://www.mustangsetc.com/67-mustang-steering-column-insulator-w-tilt/

Nope, That is not what matches your illustration, nor what I saw as a NOS one. Picture a square-cut, open cell, foam doughnut

I could see why a non-tilt could have used the same foam doughnut, no reason it would not have. I could also see how the one at the site mentioned here could work too but for whatever reason, I've not ever seen an original big block car with standard column or a TILT column with that style before (or yet) and I have seen quite a few original cars back in the late 70's, early 80's in salvage yards of So. Calif.

Always going to be exceptions, I am sure but we cannot count restored cars so I need to resort to my "as memory serves" comments at this time.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 12:23:40 PM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline 67gta289

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 11:59:58 AM »
Regarding the one for sale at Mustangs Etc I can't vouch for authenticity.  I did observe also that it does not look like the donut shape in the pictures.   
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2016, 01:39:22 AM »
NPD also sells the seal, which has a lip and more or less simply reduces the gaping opening at the end of the column. As with big block cars, it has a rag joint. There was no seal that I remember, when the car was torn down. I have seen some with them in them, but never an unmolested example.  I thought tilt columns actually had a plastic bushing of some sort. It just seems strange to see nothing supporting the shaft. The fact the column is white, also seems very stark in contrast to a black engine compartment.
                                                                                                 -Keith
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 06:38:03 PM by 1967 eight barrel »