Author Topic: 67-68 SJ - Factory Assemblyline Marking, Side of Fuse Panel  (Read 3866 times)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
FACTOID ~Today, when working on my under dash harness, ( 11/2/66 built in SJ) I noticed a "C4" white grease pencil mark on the side of the fuse box panel.

I assume it is because I have a C4 but not clear why a mark would be used on the side of the fuse panel. The shifter indicator hooks up to the main harness near the fuse panel, that being my only clue as a guess of "Why is it marked C4?"

Otherwise, have other similar markings been found on the side of the fuse box? I assume a C6 would have been the same as a C4, so an "AT" mark would make better sense if my "guess" were a reasonably close correct one.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 07:38:00 PM by J_Speegle »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline midlife

• Wiring Guru---let me check your shorts!
  • Global Moderator
    • Midlife Harness Restorations
Re: Factory Assemblyline Marking, Side of Fuse Panel
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 10:11:57 PM »
I've seen all sorts of two digit markings on fuse boxes, mostly numbers.  I've always thought it might be a rotation number of something along those lines.
Midlife Harness Restorations - http://midlifeharness.com

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
Re: Factory Assemblyline Marking, Side of Fuse Panel
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:29:16 PM »
Have a pic?  Most likely was an '04', which would be the 2nd/3rd digit of a rotation number.  Did you find a rotation number marked on the rad support, bottom of the hood or somewhere else on the car?  Also, I have seen on earlier SJ cars where there is a single digit at the front of the driver side sill plate, sometimes hidden when the plate is installed.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67 SJ - Factory Assemblyline Marking, Side of Fuse Panel
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 12:17:14 AM »
...........Also, I have seen on earlier SJ cars where there is a single digit at the front of the driver side sill plate, sometimes hidden when the plate is installed.

That one might be one of the installers numbers - like the headliner story we got from the San Jose worker where he put his number on the seat riser

Agree that the "C4" was likely a "64" or "04"

Looked through my pictures and have a  9/66 San Jose fuse box with "38" written in white on the passenger side of the fuse box. In 67 SJ the seat cushions, top of trans or back side of door panels are a good place to compare numbers
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline 67gtasanjose

• "Take the MUSTANG PLEDGE"
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:39:19 AM »
That one might be one of the installers numbers - like the headliner story we got from the San Jose worker where he put his number on the seat riser

Agree that the "C4" was likely a "64" or "04"

Looked through my pictures and have a  9/66 San Jose fuse box with "38" written in white on the passenger side of the fuse box. In 67 SJ the seat cushions, top of trans or back side of door panels are a good place to compare numbers

Going on this scenario, which is probably closer to correct, I could interpret the character as a very lazy "6" with a closed loop on the "6", making it a "64" marking.

Looking on the backsides of original door panels, at some other markings found under engine bay paint, checking the seat risers, trans tunnel and the likes for numbers or markings elsewhere, nothing else so far has been noted along the way with the same marking. Under hood locations & the likes would be long gone with a repaint but if this IS my rotation number, it would be nice to know and basically why I asked about the marking in the first place. It couldn't possibly be unique. With data supplied so far by other examples and that I have yet to find this number elsewhere, I am inclined to believe the marking as an "Installer ID".

Just another one of those assemblyline ??? mysteries until more is revealed I suppose.
Maybe this worker was left-handed, marking is on the LEFT side of the fuse panel  ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:08:25 AM by 67gtasanjose »
Richard Urch

1967 (11/2/66, S.J.) GTA Luxury Coupe, 289-4V w/Thermactor Emissions, C-4, Int./Ext. Decor +many options

2005 (04/05) GT Premium Convertible, Windveil Blue, Parchment Top w/Med. Parchment interior,  Roush Body Appointments

Offline CharlesTurner

• Charles Turner
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 10:32:03 AM »
On '65 SJ cars, I saw this consistently on a few cars where, as mentioned above, this was the 2nd and 3rd digit of a rotation number. 

Looks like a '64' in the pic.
Charles Turner - MCA/SAAC Judge
Concours Mustang Forum Admin

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 02:31:35 PM »
Sept 66 San Jose example

Jeff Speegle

Offline somethingspecial

• 1968 GT/CS Registrar mikej@bigbytes.com
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 04:38:29 PM »
I found my rotation number on the inside of the back seat side panels.  These survived all the changes over the years as this area never gets redone.
Your friendly neighborhood 1968 GT/CS Registrar

Offline WT8095

• Dave Z.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 09:10:21 PM »
At the risk of being out-of-scope, I checked the fuse box from my '68 Feb SJ fastback. There's a "93" on the bottom.

Since the original topic was for '67, let me know if I should delete this post. I can repost if a general discussion of fuse box markings is started.
Dave Z.

'68 fastback, S-code + C6. Special Paint (Rainbow promotion), DSO 710784. Actual build date 2/7/1968, San Jose.
'69 Cougar convertible, 351W-2V + FMX, Meadowlark Yellow.

Offline tim_morrison82

• Click Here for My Project
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 11:49:37 AM »
my SJ 68 has has 30 on the fuse and 630 on the rear valance behind where the plate would go. these numbers tie up to the second rotation number for my car.

San Jose built (Mid Dec 67) Non GT J code Coupe.
Wimbledon White with Parchment Bench seat,
Visibility Group, Power Steering, Power Disc Brakes, Selectaire Conditioner, AM radio, Heavy Duty suspension, Deluxe Belts, Deluxe Wheel Covers, 3.00:1 rear.

Unique 1 of 1 car. Just like every other car...

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
Re: 67-68 SJ - Factory Assemblyline Marking, Side of Fuse Panel
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 07:37:39 PM »
Thanks for sharing guys. On concern for those who don't read the posts carefully - if we post to many examples from other years with additional pictures of other locations for rotation numbers someone is just going to look at the pictures and copy everything :(

Since you've posted I'm simply going to change the naming of the thread to include 68 San Jose also ;)

With that change I would remind or inform the members the rotation number at the rear of the car was not always placed on the rear valance through out the 67-68 period
Jeff Speegle

Offline 67gta289

Re: 67-68 SJ - Factory Assemblyline Marking, Side of Fuse Panel
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 08:08:22 PM »
Found a "50" on my fuse panel, picture below, lines up with the "450" found on the rear seat discussed and pictured here http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=10113.msg59981#msg59981
John
67 289 GTA Dec 20 1966 San Jose
7R02C156xxx
MCA 74660