Author Topic: 1970 M code 4-speed drive shaft  (Read 1656 times)

Offline redmastercraft

1970 M code 4-speed drive shaft
« on: January 26, 2015, 04:30:02 PM »
Hello,

I'm working on a 1970 M code Mach 1 with a 4-speed, built 15 Jun 70 at Dearborn.  When I received the car it came in pieces and with 4 drive shafts.  I think I have the original but need some help verifying.  After soaking the drive shaft in evaporust It has the below markings:

Drive shaft is a one-piece design about 50in from center to center of the u joints

Transmission Yolk: U joint end is all yellow and the where the drive shaft connects is completely green.
Stripes:  From the rear end working forward...orange at 11 in, white at 25.25, green at 27.75 and yellow at 30.25.  All the stripes are about 3/4 in wide except the orange one and it is 1/2 in.

The rear of the shaft does not appear to have any paint left or was never painted.    I also have a yellow duab near the a balance weight and a pink duab on the inside of the rear yolk.

Would this drive shaft belong to the above car?

Thanks
Matt
1970 Mach 1, M-code, 4-spd...pretty much nothing else
Built: Dearborn, 15 Jun 70

Offline ClevelandKid

Re: 1970 M code 4-speed drive shaft
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:21:59 PM »
Would love to see a pic of your drive shaft. I have a 70 Mach 1 M code 4 speed built in Dearborn 3/10/70. But the drive shaft is weathered. Mine is a real nice survivor which still sports the original Paint. I would like to freshen the undercarriage up but everyone says to leave it alone. I like the new look.  :-\

Mustang country. Get the women,kids and Chevys off the streets.

Offline J_Speegle

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 02:53:48 PM »
I'm working on a 1970 M code Mach 1 with a 4-speed, built 15 Jun 70 at Dearborn.  When I received the car it came in pieces and with 4 drive shafts.  I think I have the original but need some help verifying.  After soaking the drive shaft in evaporust It has the below markings:

Stripes:  From the rear end working forward...orange at 11 in, white at 25.25, green at 27.75 and yellow at 30.25.  All the stripes are about 3/4 in wide except the orange one and it is 1/2 in.........

Would this drive shaft belong to the above car?

Looking at a couple of buildsheets for cars similar to yours suggests that you might have found a match. The color of the  stripes appears to be the same colors though two of the stripes (the order of them) is different than what the documentation states. Could just be a mistake made by the minimum wages kid at the driveline provider or a completely different driveline - by the markings

Buildsheet shoes -Green  - White - Yellow
From a May 25th built Mach I so only missed it maybe by a couple of weeks
Jeff Speegle

Anything worth doing is worth doing concours ;)

Offline redmastercraft

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 05:38:08 PM »
Thanks Jeff,

Here's what the drive shaft looked like before and after the evaporust soaking

Matt

1970 Mach 1, M-code, 4-spd...pretty much nothing else
Built: Dearborn, 15 Jun 70